Add points in the actions timeline

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Equalrights4animals

Add points in the actions timeline

Post by Equalrights4animals »

Sometimes when I'm in the actions timeline and working on a smart bone I realize I need more points but I hate having to go back to the mainline, add the points, and then go back to the actions timeline. If the delete edge tool is enabled in the actions timeline, why is the add points tool grayed out? How do I enable it?
ddrake

Re: Add points in the actions timeline

Post by ddrake »

I actually don't know that there ISN'T a toggle for this, but here are my thoughts:

I agree that it seems more annoying that you can't add points to your work while dealing with an action, but I'm pretty sure in practice it is really just to streamline things for convenience in the long run.

The mainline does allow you to go to Edit- Preferences - And uncheck the box that says "enable drawing tools only on frame 0"

Of course this will only let you add points later in the "mainline" timeline, which I understand is not what you're trying to do. But if you've worked this way much in the main timeline and made mistakes, it starts to become clearer why sudden points created in an action might confuse your project if anything is very far along...

BUT! I think if you're just doing pre-design and action work, what you CAN do is use the MAINLINE to create your action (where you CAN turn on "add points"), get it how you want it and then copy the mainline keyframes to an action.
-ddrake