My animations become blurry when moving fast.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Bob73

My animations become blurry when moving fast.

Post by Bob73 »

How do I fix this? It doesn't happen much, if at all when moving slowly, but when I have animations set to move fast, I get what looks like a double image, regardless as to whether its still in Anime Studio or if I export the animations. Its not pretty to look at, so how do I fix this?
Equalrights4animals

Re: My animations become blurry when moving fast.

Post by Equalrights4animals »

The probably look blurry when they move fast for the same reason that normal objects look blurry when they're moving fast
Bob73

Post by Bob73 »

I think I figured that much out...Wait what?

I need fast moving ANYTHING to NOT look blurry!
Equalrights4animals

What I'm saying is any object, animated or not, is going to look blurry when it's moving fast. It's just how the human eye works and it's why movies and animation work in the first place
Genete

Post by Genete »

IF you stop the fast animation, does the still look blurred? If not it is a vision effect, if yes, then it is a animation effect.
-G
Bob73

Post by Bob73 »

It doesn't look blurred at all if you stop it.

Are you saying theres no way within anime studio to fix this? Do I need another program? This problem is NOT natural in any media I've EVER watched, which implies there should be some way to fix it.
Equalrights4animals

Check the layer settings and make sure motion blur is turned off maybe?
Bob73

Post by Bob73 »

Motion blur is turned off for every possible piece in this animation, its definitely not that.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

What exactly do you mean by "blurred"? Can we see a sample still render? Does the "double" image or blur show on a single frame render from the "middle" of an action sequence?

If nothing shows blurred or doubled in a single frame render then this has nothing to do with Anime Studio. It might have to do with frame rate, size of the exported render, power of the computer to play back frames smoothly... all sorts of things can effect how it plays back.

Basically when you render, all Anime Studio is doing is rendering each single frame and then sticking them together in a movie wrapper. If what you are seeing is based on the playback, that isn't a reliable test for render problems.

In my opinion this is not a problem that needs to be fixed. I think it's a problem with what your expectations are. I actually think you would WANT some motion blur for fast motion. That is something Anime Studio doesn't really have which is "true" motion blur. This type of motion blur can soften fast motion smoothing it out. Playing back a fast motion without a motion blur could create a sort of "strobe" like effect that isn't always pleasing to watch.

It would help to see a sample of the problem.
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

heyvern wrote:It might have to do with frame rate
This would be my guess. I noticed different frame rates give that blurry effect. 29.97, for instance, plays back terribly. Nothing to do with Anime Studio though.
~Danimal
Bob73

Post by Bob73 »

How exactly would I show you this?

And no, as I stated, theres no blur whatsoever if you stop on any individual frame.

This part here though...

"Playing back a fast motion without a motion blur could create a sort of "strobe" like effect that isn't always pleasing to watch."

That does sound...sorta like what I'm describing...No matter what I do with motion blur though, nothing ever appears to change really

I tried changing the frame rates to various things, (not that I have ANY idea what to change them too) on the slower frame rates the problem was basically gone, since it was moving slower.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

My guess would be codec, as renders are highly dependent on the method used to compress the video. Some may "blur" more frames together, especially noticeable with fast motion. If you have a video player that allows you to step through the video a frame at a time, you would be able to see if this is happening. Anyway, you might try a lossless codec.
Bob73

Post by Bob73 »

I'm still here...and this happens even in anime studio itself, BEFORE I export it, unless your saying a codec affects anime studio itself.

I'm getting the feeling I'm foolish for expecting this to be easy. (Not sarcasm...mostly)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

AS cannot show the animation with 100% accuracy in the workspace. Computer speed, size of the file, number of processor-heavy effects, etc. all reduce timing accuracy. And allowing frame skipping will obviously drop some frames.

What happens in AS while working and the finished export are two different things.