Mask and Hide edge

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JJPcartoni

Mask and Hide edge

Post by JJPcartoni »

I know that this have already discussed in other topic, but I can't found a right way.

So, the problem is:
I have a vector group called "Body". In this group there are three vector level: Body, Arm dx, Arm sx.

The group is set up as masking. The three levels are set up as "clear the mask, then added this layer to" and I marked the "Exclude strokes".

Now, I hidded the stroke between the arms and the body. But, when I see the preview or when I export animation, the hidden stroke, are not hide but there is a thin white line.
I bought Anime Studio 10 with the hope that this problem was fixed, but also in latest version there it is.

Is there some ways to around it?
Equalrights4animals

Re: Mask and Hide edge

Post by Equalrights4animals »

If you have AS pro, I would reccomend using patch layers rather than layer masking to hide strokes between body parts. If you have AS debut and therefore can't use patch layers, I say upgrade to AS pro! I think you'll find it a lot easier than debut because it has lots of cool features including the patch layer that are very usefull for fixing/preventing problems.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Following your stated setup, I cannot duplicate the problem. Post the file.
JJPcartoni

Post by JJPcartoni »

The steps are:

1. Create two levels (Body, Arm) in a group.
2. Mask the group
3. Set "Clear the mask, then added this layer to" and mark "Exclude Stroke". This step is for all two levels.
4. Hide the stroke between two levels.
5. Preview

Will go out a white line where you hidden the stroke.

PS: The patch method doesn't work in a mask group with two or more levels setted with "clear the mask".
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Still not showing the problem here. Can you share an example file that does? Maybe you have something set that you are not mentioning.
JJPcartoni

Post by JJPcartoni »

synthsin75 wrote:Still not showing the problem here. Can you share an example file that does? Maybe you have something set that you are not mentioning.
http://wikisend.com/download/762298/tryhide.anme

This is the file with the problem. Thanks!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

This doesn't occur for all colors, and I was checking with one it doesn't happen with. I'm not finding any solution for this.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Okay, here's the only work around I can think of. Instead of hiding the edge, create a stroke over those segments the same color as the fills. To achieve the same look as you original, you will need to follow these steps for each problem shape:

1. Delete the shape (select with select shape tool and hit delete)
2. Create a fill only shape
3. Create a stroke only shape, except for the segments you want hidden
4. Create a stroke only shape over the segments you want to hide, the same color as the fill
5. Select this last shape with the select shape tool and hit the down arrow to move it beneath your black outline
JJPcartoni

Post by JJPcartoni »

Pratically, Did you say that this problem exists only with a determinate colours?

I no think this. For me, this is a big fastidious bug that pursues Anime studio since early version.
However, thank for your help ;)

MODIFIED: Ok. I'm gonna try your solution and i will let you know !
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, it's a crap bug that I could have sworn had been fixed at some point. Alas.

Personally, I would probably not exclude strokes and just use transparent shapes for the shading, so they don't swamp the strokes.