Get layer masking to work

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Equalrights4animals

Get layer masking to work

Post by Equalrights4animals »

I have a group layer with 3 sub layers. The top and bottom layers are vector layers, and the middle one is a switch layer. I have a masking system set up so the bottom and middle layers are added to the mask, and the top layer is masked. The problem is despite being added to the mask, the middle layer is only visible above the bottom layer. Why?
synthsin75

Re: Get layer masking to work

Post by synthsin75 »

So you have something like this?

group layer (hide all)
- vector layer (mask this layer)
- switch layer (add to mask)
- - switch sublayer
- - switch sublayer
- vector layer (add to mask)

This setup works fine here. Everything in the switch layer is visible, even without being over the bottom vector layer content.
Equalrights4animals

Post by Equalrights4animals »

Yes that's exactly what I have but it's not working the way you described. The switch layer still acts like it's set to "mask this layer." The switch layer sub layers are group layers. Is that a problem?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you have group layers in the switch the mask becomes too complicated to show correctly in the workspace. If you render, you will see the actual, correct output of the mask (which is what you are expecting to see). Depending on the complexity and your needs, enabling masking for those group layers in the switch may help them show more correctly in the workspace.

Always test render to make sure what complex masking is actually looking like.