Recommend a 2d app for 10inch screen

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

madrobot

Recommend a 2d app for 10inch screen

Post by madrobot »

Hi All
My 13 year old son has a 10" Dell Win 8 touchscreen slate, with an Ntrig pen.
I have been teaching him animation on Mondays, so far mainly on index cards and a lightbox because he is comfortable drawing that way.

I am interested in setting him up with a 2d app on it to continue to teach him traditional 2d stuff, and I am posting to ask for any recommendations on software which might fit that relatively small screen size without being too cramped? Flipbook pro looked like an option. The new Animation Paper when it eventually makes it to Windows might be nice. TVpaint looks a bit cluttered for 10"? As does Toon Boom. I have ANimation-ish, a toon boom product for kids, which I will install and see how it looks on there, but it was not a good fit on my 12" Asus slate, so I don't know if that will work. Something stripped right back in terms of interface would be great.

Any thoughts? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, I need onion skin, an X sheet would be nice. Don't need a million layers either.
I just want something that he can pick up his slate and keep working on an exercise, something with a nice interface so that he can focus on the drawings and not have to do a course to learn the app.
Thankyou
Adrian
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Recommend a 2d app for 10inch screen

Post by Víctor Paredes »

The old PAP?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I agree, the old Plastic Animation Paper has a small, simple UI that should work well on a smaller screen. After that, I'd try Pencil.
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Thankyou Gentlemen.
I shall check those out.
For some reason I thought the old PAP was a but cluttered, but I think I might install both and have a look at how they run on it. I am thinking if I can set it up so I give him exercises, and eventually he can make a short animation just using the little slate. It has to be convenient, so he can just pick it up, work on it, and just put it down and walk away when he's had enough. That way he'll do it :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Good strategy with a kid, I think.