Target Constraint: How how do you change direction of IK?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Target Constraint: How how do you change direction of IK

Post by Víctor Paredes »

strider2000 wrote:This is awesome! It's exactly what I was looking for. Selgin, the video was an excellent tutorial. For other readers that might be interested in this topic I also saw the thread where heyvern solves the issue by using an alternative rig. For the rig I was working with, this approach is the one I prefer, but heyvern's approach can be a cool rig that others might like as well.

Adding a link
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25729&p=153905&hili ... ne#p153905
You are welcome :)
I didn't remember Heyvern's thread, but I have used that technique for a very complex character. He was meditating, so I needed the elbows being fixed to the thighs. If I moved the legs, the elbows will follow that movement.
It gives you great control, but you actually lose the IK. For legs, for example, the knees are totally independent to any other part of the body, so would only use that for very very specific tasks.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ha, ha, that character is terrific!

As always, thanks for sharing your rigging 'secrets'. :)

G.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Greenlaw wrote:Ha, ha, that character is terrific!
Thanks, the illustration was made by Óscar Chávez (the same guy who illustrated some of the AS10 box characters)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

selgin wrote: It gives you great control, but you actually lose the IK. For legs, for example, the knees are totally independent to any other part of the body, so would only use that for very very specific tasks.
Makes a lot of sense. Great character and rigging :)