Reset the Origin Direction?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tacoma

Reset the Origin Direction?

Post by Tacoma »

I have a Vector image that I flipped horizontally.

The origin before flipping showed an arrow to the right and an arrow up.

After flipping horizontally the arrow goes to the left and up.

If I copy the vector image and paste it into the new layer it still is oriented with the origin arrow to the left.
Is there a way to get this vector image on this layer or a new layer to be setup with an origin that has the orientation with the origin arrow to the right?

Thanks
hayasidist

Re: Reset the Origin Direction?

Post by hayasidist »

I think this is what you're asking but please say if it's not ...

if you have a vector layer and you flip the _layer_ horizontally, you'll get the layer origin arrows as you've described and the stuff you drew will be "mirror image".

if you create a new empty layer the layer origin arrows point "the right way"; if you then go back select all the vector points in the flipped layer; copy them and then paste into the new layer you'll get the points as drawn (not mirror image). if you want the points to look the same as in the flipped layer, then you can flip the _points_ horizontally (and then translate them because the "origin" of the points is unlikely to be the same as the layer origin)
Tacoma

Post by Tacoma »

hayasidist wrote:I think this is what you're asking but please say if it's not ...

if you have a vector layer and you flip the _layer_ horizontally, you'll get the layer origin arrows as you've described and the stuff you drew will be "mirror image".

if you create a new empty layer the layer origin arrows point "the right way"; if you then go back select all the vector points in the flipped layer; copy them and then paste into the new layer you'll get the points as drawn (not mirror image). if you want the points to look the same as in the flipped layer, then you can flip the _points_ horizontally (and then translate them because the "origin" of the points is unlikely to be the same as the layer origin)
Copying the vector points and pasting them into a new layer and flipping or transforming them doesn't seem to reset the origin as the origin rotates with the new command always remembering the original orientation. The result of this is just changing the view of the vector points. I would have thought that the "Set Origin" button would have done this as it allows you to reset the coordinates of the origin, but apparently not the orientation? I guess another way to ask the question is, "is there a way to reset the origin orientation arrows to point "the right way" ?"
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Tacoma wrote: I guess another way to ask the question is, "is there a way to reset the origin orientation arrows to point "the right way" ?"

(ASP10) yes - by repeating the layer flip (i.e. if you had done a Layer flip Horizontal then do *another* flip H and that will put the arrows back "the right way")

If you want the _vectors_ to stay "flipped": then select all the points in that layer, activate the transform points tool and

apply a flip H to the points (use the flip icon in the transform points tool - it's not the same as layer flip)
or
change the x scale to be -1 * the value that you have (e.g. change 1 to be -1; change -4.6 to be 4.6)

you may need to translate (move) all the points because the points are flipped around a different origin from a layer flip.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The direction of the origin "arrows" is based on whether the layer is flipped. To "reset" it you have to flip it back.
You can check if a layer is flipped by opening the layer properties. There is a checkbox for flip horizontal and flip vertical.

Not sure what you described is completely accurate. Did you give us all the info?
The layer you "flipped" is it a group or bone layer with vector layers inside it? The vector layers you describe trying to copy or flip, is it INSIDE another flipped layer? If so, then ALL layers inside a flipped group layer will be "flipped". To flip sub layers "back" inside a flipped group layer you flip them the other way.

If you created a new vector layer it won't be flipped by default so if you select points on a flipped vector layer and paste to a new un-flipped layer, the points will be appear "flipped" from the copied layer. The layer flipping doesn't effect points. Layer flipping and point flipping are different. Layer flipping is "non destructive" so to speak, and easily reset, flipping points is changing the positions of points and can't be "reverted" without reversing the entire flip/move process.
Tacoma

Post by Tacoma »

heyvern wrote: If you created a new vector layer it won't be flipped by default so if you select points on a flipped vector layer and paste to a new un-flipped layer, the points will be appear "flipped" from the copied layer. The layer flipping doesn't effect points. Layer flipping and point flipping are different. Layer flipping is "non destructive" so to speak, and easily reset, flipping points is changing the positions of points and can't be "reverted" without reversing the entire flip/move process.
The layers were not part of a bone or group. Just independent vector layers. However this part shown above seems to clarify the issue for me. Creating a new layer and flipping the layer independently seemed to work, thanks.