How to draw a simple clean cut semicircle with AS10

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Telemacus

How to draw a simple clean cut semicircle with AS10

Post by Telemacus »

There's an old (dated 8 years ago! viewtopic.php?p=21084) post asking how to draw a semicircle. Heyvern provided some interesting ideas on how to do it, but the links are dead and it was a very early version of AS.

I've tried drawing a circle and then a line in the middle between 2 of its 4 points, but this distorts the image. I've tried a couple of other things without good results.
I guess I could draw a circle and then use masking to hide half of it, but it strikes to me as a little over the top...
Is there a simple way to draw a clean cut semicircle in AS?
heyvern

Re: How to draw a simple clean cut semicircle with AS10

Post by heyvern »

The key to this is not exactly how the vectors are drawn or connected, but the shape that is created, the fills and strokes. When creating unusual or complex shapes, you don't have to use all points to create the final filled or stroked shape.

The simplest semicircle technique you already mentioned:

Vector Creation
Draw a circle using the shape tool.
Using the Add Point tool, connect a spline between one set of opposite points of the circle.
Don't break or remove any points, just connect the points on opposite sides of the complete circle. This will not cause distortion

(Don't know why you got a distorted shape with this technique you mentioned, but make sure you don't have "peaked points" checked with the add point tool when connecting the sides. I often forget to turn that option off with the add point tool. With peaked points set on the add point tool it will peak the point you click on)

You should now have an undistorted circle made from 4 points with a line connected through the center.

Shape Creation
Select only the points of half of the circle to create the shape. Select both points that are connected through the center and one point on one side. The vectors of the other half of the circle will still be there, but it won't have a shape assigned to the splines or vectors and won't render.

The trick with Anime Studio is that shapes that render don't have to include all the points drawn. You can add extra points that "dangle" off of other points to shift the curve or connect curved shapes to split them so they don't distort.
Telemacus

Re: How to draw a simple clean cut semicircle with AS10

Post by Telemacus »

Yes, of course!

I did indeed forget to uncheck the peak points. :oops:
Thanks Heyvern, much appreciated.