export vectorized image

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

skygaz3r

export vectorized image

Post by skygaz3r »

hey guys,

i wanted to export a single frame/image so that i can use the vectorized image for example to print it on tshirts and stuff like this.
is there a way to do this in anime studio 9?

greetings

chris
aka. skygaz3r
sorry, my english isn't good ;(
funksmaname

Re: export vectorized image

Post by funksmaname »

No, but there is no real limit on exporting a high resolution render that would be totally fine for printing.
To export vector you have to export a swf and go through flash - it's a PITA, and a lot of work. Heyvern recently described the process in a logo post I believe?
Still if you're printing shirts, just work out the dimensions you need to print at 300 dpi and set the canvas to that before rendering... you don't NEED a vector for this sort of purpose.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I agree that a high resolution rendered raster image will work fine.
Another issue is that SWF export does not support a bunch of features from Anime Studio, like gradients, brushes, shadows, shading, etc.
Often though, raster images can get quite large and vector is more manageable. Also you can scale up and down "on the fly" without worries.

Keep this in mind if you still want to try to export to vector. You will have to make sure you don't have any fill or layer effects not supported by the SWF export. My use of this has always been simply basic shapes and fills and variable line widths.

For the fastest, easiest vector export without a lot of fiddling
1. export a single frame to SWF (make sure variable line width is checked if you use that feature for strokes)
2. open it in the Adobe SWF player app
3. print to a PDF

The resulting PDF is completely vector as it is derived from the SWF.
Printing to a PDF is different depending on the OS. It's really easy on Mac, not sure how to do it with Windows. A long time ago, I use to use an app for printing PDF's on Windows that gave me control over all kinds of things like custom page size, scaling etc. Now on Mac, I don't need it. PDF is sort of "built in" to Mac OS.

Some issues to be aware of:
If you just want to export the PDF as described above and use it without doing any fiddling or cleaning up, there are a few things to be aware of.

By default the PDF print out contains a solid filled background box shape the same color as the background of your Anime Studio file (project settings). That default color is usually a light gray. To avoid that color actually being a part of the file or printing, you could set your background in Anime Studio to white. When printing white usually doesn't print as a color so would kind of be invisible.

Usually your printer settings will determine the size and format of the PDF. It will have a default size (letter, tabloid, etc) set by whatever print driver you use. This means your PDF will be the paper size set to print the PDF and your artwork may not be centered or positioned how you want. However you could always tell the printer to adjust it.

Or... you can create an Anime Studio file the same proportions as a letter size print. Then your PDF from the above steps will look just like the original Anime Studio file. Another option if available would be a custom page size for the print out.

All of this sounds like a ton of work but actually it's quite quick and simple if you don't fiddle with stuff. Some of the logo stuff I've done was completely useable and looked perfect from the straight PDF print out, but since I needed to produce AI, EPS, etc files for use in other applications I had to open and clean up in Adobe Illustrator.
skygaz3r

Post by skygaz3r »

i already tried exporting it in a high resolution, but spreadshirt (what i use), imports it somehow really small and i cant scale it up, because then it says that the resolution isnt high enough.

tried exporting it in swf but it really crushes the look of the the image :/
sorry, my english isn't good ;(
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Open the file in PS or Gimp and change it's resolutoin to 350 dpi, then save and upload again.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5