How do i remove points?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Bliss Eyed

How do i remove points?

Post by Bliss Eyed »

I' m using a quality WACOM tablet, with a screen; sometimes when I draw, lets say, an eyebrow, it does it with 33 points.

I've tried the erase tool but it removes large segments at a time.

What's the most effective method of erasing one point at a time yet still getting the shape back?
Genete

Re: How do i remove points?

Post by Genete »

What's the most effective method of erasing one point at a time yet still getting the shape back?
That's not 100% possible in all the cases. But... depending on the version you have, (it exists since version 9.1) there is a script called "Simplfy Curve" (under Script/Draw sub menu) that does a reasonable good job on simplifying curves.
-G
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

or, rather than using the freehand tool, avoid the problem by using "add points" - a bit slower until you get the hang of the (press + drag) .. lift ..(press + drag) etc etc ... then modify curvatures ... but that's the way I work (with a wacom tablet)
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

There are a few ways to do it. You do have to become familiar with any method you choose. I don't have a problem with tweaking the artwork.
Another method is to Select or shift/Select a point or points then hit the Delete key. You may have to adjust the curvature of other points with this method.
Cheers, Larry
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

This has been my disappointment about the Reduce Points brush. I was hoping it would be adjustable to be able to delete specific points but it doesn't work that way.

Alternatively, if you install DKW Root's FBF tools, it does have an erase tool that actually erases points (among many other useful features.) To see it in action, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtLtM7hjlsk#t=605

The erase pen tool demo starts at around 10:00.

G.
Bliss Eyed

Post by Bliss Eyed »

3deeguy; "Another method is to Select or shift/Select a point or points then hit the Delete key. You may have to adjust the curvature of other points with this method." Cheers, Larry

Ding! Ding! Ding! This works the way i need it to: THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

(all these skills have such an important impact; not knowing one day is so frustrating then knowing how to do it the next day is so encouraging to a beginner; in this case, it's like having a coupon for a 1000 "re-do's" a day. So forgive my hyperbole salad of exclamation marks & capital letters: i mean every one sincerely.)