Need help Masking a PSD

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Spectral Warrior

Need help Masking a PSD

Post by Spectral Warrior »

Hello,

I'm a new user to AS 10 Pro. I have a layered retro 8bit character outlined in black that I created in photoshop. I've imported it into AS10 and tryed converting it into a vector and that's not turning out very well at all because it looses all the pixelation when autotracing the lines. Essentially what I'm trying to do is have something that acts as a patch layer between the joints. I figured this could be done using masking(which seems complicated with all the options), and I've experimented with it and watched some tutorials and searched the forums but I'm not having much luck. Is there anyone here that understands this problem and could point me in the right direction please.

Thanks. SW
Poptoogi

Re: Need help Masking a PSD

Post by Poptoogi »

Hi Spectral Warrior,

You're right, you can do this in AS but as you suspected it can be rather difficult. Since you have photoshop I would suggest breaking the character apart in photoshop as well as creating joints and export the pieces as png files so you can reassemble them in AS. Victor Paredes has a video on doing this with a photo of a He-Man action figure and it's fantastic. Although it's in Spanish you can get the jist of it by watching this. This technique works great if you're using different image types! Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CWspYji1b0
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!