Remove Bone Offsets?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Remove Bone Offsets?

Post by DK »

Anyone know if there is a way to remove bone offsets from frame 0?
I have a character that I want to work on at frame 0 without bone offsets being in the way. Unfortunately bone offsets were used to put the character together so it is exploded on frame 0.

Thanks
D.K
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Remove Bone Offsets?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Bone Offset tool has a reset button, but I suppose you are not talking about that.
I think there's no way to remove the offseting maintaining the character well rigged, but you can try to make modifications in frame 1 and then copy and paste that keyframes on frame zero. That should work.

PD: Anyway, for any new user who could read this, in my opinion, Bone Offset is an obsolete tool. The "Use selected bones for flexi-binding" do a better job in most of the cases and it's cleaner, since you always your character parts on their real positions.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
DK

Post by DK »

Hehehe....you are exatcly right Selgin...Bone offset IS totally obsolete. I am using an old character to test out the new AS features and it's frustrating that the characters are exploded at frame 0. I found the "Reset" button....but it did'nt help so I just had to bite the bullet and re-rig from frame 0 :(

Thanks anyway!
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'm not sure bone offset is completely obsolete. I believe we still need to use offset to isolate bone influence of image textures and gradients.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote:I'm not sure bone offset is completely obsolete. I believe we still need to use offset to isolate bone influence of image textures and gradients.
Not really. In version 10 -but I'm not sure if in 9 too- both images and gradients are supported by "Use selected bones...".
I remember using the Offset tool a couple times for some tricky rig, but that's certainly not common in my workflow.
Anyway, it's nice to have it at hand.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I think there is at least still one (important!) benefit of bone offsetting that hardly could be achieved without it, like when you need *connected* Shapes being influenced by several bones in a controllable way. That kind of fluidity and control is something that, unless someday the "Use selected bones for flexi-binding" feature can act over, for example, certain Point Group/s in the Layer (and not over all of them as it does now), we only can get by means of Bone Offsetting and I think it's very cool we can do that, even if it's not the most common or widely used technique. Well, just my two cents... Greetings!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ramón López wrote:I think there is at least still one (important!) benefit of bone offsetting that hardly could be achieved without it, like when you need *connected* Shapes being influenced by several bones in a controllable way. That kind of fluidity and control is something that, unless someday the "Use selected bones for flexi-binding" feature can act over, for example, certain Point Group/s in the Layer (and not over all of them as it does now), we only can get by means of Bone Offsetting and I think it's very cool we can do that, even if it's not the most common or widely used technique. Well, just my two cents... Greetings!
You are totally right, Ramón, thank you for pointing it.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
DK

Post by DK »

Yes....fair point Ramon.

D.K
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

And you are welcome! Indeed... It's not I didn't like to can get rid of the (kind of ugly) Offset Bone feature once and for all (someday), but it's just *ideally* it shouldn't happen unless/until no sub-feature or benefit were lost in the way or, IOW and in this case, until "Use selected bones for flexi-binding" offer some mechanism of control over influenced points.

Well thanks! And greetings again :)