Freehand and lag

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sargumphigaus

Freehand and lag

Post by sargumphigaus »

I have a question about using the freehand option. I posted this in general anime discussion and got no reply, i'm assuming its because it wasn't the right place to post it, so I'll throw it down here and try to rephrase it for clarity. In theory, this is actually a really cool option, but i appear to be running into issues at every turn imaginable. The latest issue is that I'm getting absolutely wrecked by lag.

first things first, I'll just show you this video I made yesterday to try and get my head around it.

I'm starting to get a feeling that this isn't what they had in mind when they designed it because as I progressed, the program got slower and slower, and now i'm at the point where the program basically crashes if I try well...anything...am I doing it wrong? Is a sketch style animation just completely outside the programs intentions? If not, how do I stop this from happening?
synthsin75

Re: Freehand and lag

Post by synthsin75 »

The video is private...may be why no response.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

synthsin75 wrote:The video is private...may be why no response.
ok, fixed it. try it now
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

for further clarification, that was all done with freehand, sketched on a tablet. There are a ton of points in each frame.

And for the record, I really hope this is a problem on my end because doing this is a very cathartic experience for me. I'd hate to see it fall apart due to software limitation issues.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

How much RAM does your computer have? That may be the limiting factor.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

synthsin75 wrote:How much RAM does your computer have? That may be the limiting factor.
8 gigs

Edit: i looked into the possibility, and I think you might be right about the ram. I can update to 16 easily, plus I've been looking for an excuse to do that anyways. Thanks for the reply.
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

You might also try using the "merge storkes" option in the top bar if it's not already on. And if you can live with a little smoothing on your strokes, set the slider on anything other than the lowest setting. That will save you some points... Sorry if that's all old news to you.. Nice job on the animation :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Fuzatron wrote:"merge storkes"
That new dating website is for the birds. :P

Sargumphigaus, what kind of processor and how many cores?
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

synthsin75 wrote:Sargumphigaus, what kind of processor and how many cores?
I'll just give you all my system specs.

Intel i7 4790k quadcore 4.0 ghz cpu
8 gig ram g.skill sniper ddr3
225 gig ssd (which this program is running from)
1 tb hd
radeon r9 290 gpu
semi modular 750 wat psu

suffice it to say, I build this puppy myself and i'm pretty proud of it. It was built for A gaming, but I chose the i7 over an i5 because B: I built it for animation/editing as well.
I pulled up my ram usage and triggered this program to stutter (by simply trying to color in the crow) and was surprised to see that my system wasn't being stressed at all, quite the contrary, the cpu was only being used at 15% and the ram would only suffer at 3.5 gigs out of 8.

it's not my computer. I think its the software itself.

If i can't fix this, I'm dropping this program. I bought a tablet for this feature, and it was all working out great, but if the software isn't strong enough to handle this, than I'm switching over to flash or toonboom.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, with those specs your system should have no problems. Try Fuzatron's suggestions.

If those don't help, I'd do the FBF in segments, where I could hide previous FBF while working the latest bit.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

synthsin75 wrote:Yeah, with those specs your system should have no problems. Try Fuzatron's suggestions.

If those don't help, I'd do the FBF in segments, where I could hide previous FBF while working the latest bit.
I don't understand what you mean. You want me to break fbf into individual layers?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

sargumphigaus wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:Yeah, with those specs your system should have no problems. Try Fuzatron's suggestions.

I don't understand what you mean. You want me to break fbf into individual layers?
No, I'd just work the FBF layer until performance started to suffer too much, then create a new FBF layer for the next frame and turn off the last FBF layer so AS doesn't have to compute it. Then just turn them all back on before render.
sargumphigaus

Post by sargumphigaus »

okay, so i've been messing around with it, and I think I've isolated the problem. It's the reference layers. When I create a reference layer, the program dies. I actually added a bunch of new frames to the bird cycle there, and there were absolutely no problems. So, I'll reserve judgement on reference layers until I see the webinar that talks directly about them. (because I'm 80% positive i'm using it wrong) Until then, The only solution I see is mapping the motion with fbf, then using switchlayers to trace over when satisfied with the results.