One object follow another???

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

simondraws

One object follow another???

Post by simondraws »

Hey guys. So i know there's probably an easy way to do this i just haven't yet found it. Does anyone know how if you animate one shape to move, let's say up and back down repeatedly, is there an easy way to make another shape on another layer follow that exact same movement? A shadow would be a good example. If you had a custom shadow that was made manually and you needed it to follow your character without doing a bunch of separate animation for the shadow. How is this done? Thanks very much in advance for any advice! :D
synthsin75

Re: One object follow another???

Post by synthsin75 »

Usually you would just bind a shadow to the character's root bone.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Bind both to the same bone and animate the bone instead of the shapes.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
simondraws

Post by simondraws »

Thank you guys so much. Both of your replies helped right away. You guys are awesome!! Thanks again
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

the shadow in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bxu1vM-ZgY is done by making a copy by reference of the "logo" (bone group) layer; and then changing the copy to be "colorize layer", rotate about X, shear and scale. All the motion is bone, so the copy follows the master.. this doesn't jump, but it could easily do so and the shadow would respond as expected (the way the beak shadow does)