Character Shading

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sillyanimate

Character Shading

Post by sillyanimate »

I want to my character and to be shaded(skin)
Problem is idk how :-(
Tutorials are not helping
Any ideas
Don't forget! No one is perfect!
saintbe

Re: Character Shading

Post by saintbe »

I've been experimenting with skinshading and I got some ok results ... I use it on the legs of my profile picture :

I create a group layer in which I use masking. I put a highlights layer on top of a shading layer on top of the actual body layer ... like this :

For the shading and highlights I use a set of soft edge effects.

Hope this helps.
-K.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

saintbe wrote:I've been experimenting with skinshading and I got some ok results ... I use it on the legs of my profile picture :

I create a group layer in which I use masking. I put a highlights layer on top of a shading layer on top of the actual body layer ... like this :

For the shading and highlights I use a set of soft edge effects.

Hope this helps.
-K.
That's real nice looking. Can you show a shot of the vectors (paths) used.
sillyanimate

Post by sillyanimate »

so its easier to have shading in a diffrent layer?
Don't forget! No one is perfect!
saintbe

Post by saintbe »

sillyanimate wrote:so its easier to have shading in a diffrent layer?
I believe it is easier to control on different layers ... you don't want the shades to go outside of the body.

Edge effects are difficult to control and go outside of the body easily or will cover the lines of your body ... by applying a mask you can prevent that from happening. If you place your shades on the same layer as your body then you cannot apply masking to it and the shade will go outside of the body like so :

Note that there are some things to consider though ... if you use different masking groups and if you use "exclude strokes" on them then you will get an ugly white line if the groups cover eachother (see nose in below picture)... just take that into account when you create objects because it's really frustrating when that happens and I haven't found a fix for that yet aside from starting over and recreate the objects :evil: ...

I kinda fixed the nose above by adding the nose to the face layer ... but I don't like to add too many objects on one layer ... anyways, it still looks kinda flat but that's just because I still need to add the highlights to it :

Anyways ... I'm not happy with the shading yet and the nose needs some more work in the turns but in the video below you get some idea of the result :

@ sythsin75 : not sure what you are asking me to show you ... but here are screenshots of the highlights vector layer and shade vector layer :

Image - Image

I hope this is what you asked for :mrgreen:

Cheers,
-K.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Ah! so just strokes not fill for the shade / highlight? And do those layers have blend mode "normal"?
saintbe

Post by saintbe »

hayasidist wrote:Ah! so just strokes not fill for the shade / highlight? And do those layers have blend mode "normal"?
Yes ... on the legs I just used strokes ... on the face in the video example I used some fills.

Yes, just normal blend mode :

Cheers,
-Kim.
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

I tend to do the same as saintbe, masking is the best way.
http://www.animestudiotutor.com/masking ... ll/#step_4
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

saintbe wrote:@ sythsin75 : not sure what you are asking me to show you ... but here are screenshots of the highlights vector layer and shade vector layer :

Image - Image

I hope this is what you asked for :mrgreen:

Cheers,
-K.
Yep, exactly what I was looking for, thanks.