Can I a make a bone follow a path?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Poptoogi

Can I a make a bone follow a path?

Post by Poptoogi »

I don't know if this s possible but if it is....I have a pretty cool idea for a tutorial. But, I need to know if it's actually possible for one one connected to several others can be instructed to follow a path. If so, I think I could make a rig change everything! I'm really excited about it but it will only work if I can make a bone follow a path. If you guys have any ideas or thoughts on how to do it, let me know! :)

Thanks!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
dueyftw

Re: Can I a make a bone follow a path?

Post by dueyftw »

No.

If I understand you. You would like one bone to move and the next one on the chain to have the same movement. You can get mirror of the movement, But what you want is the bone not take on the same position until there is a lag for so many frames. Currently with a a custom script, I don't think it can be done.

Dale
Poptoogi

Post by Poptoogi »

guyver93 wrote:I don't know if this s possible but if it is....I have a pretty cool idea for a tutorial. But, I need to know if it's actually possible for one one connected to several others can be instructed to follow a path. If so, I think I could make a rig change everything! I'm really excited about it but it will only work if I can make a bone follow a path. If you guys have any ideas or thoughts on how to do it, let me know! :)

Thanks!
Ah man! That's too bad. What I was thinking is that you could attach a target bone to a path, like and elliptical one, say for instance a leg, so that when the target bone is connected to a pedal the rest of the leg animates automatically. I know you can just create a cycle animation in this way but by following a path you could change the movement in real time. A better example would be a walk cycle could turn into a run cycle by just reshaping the path. You could also add a smart (control) bone to this to make a real speed dial. Adjusting the speed and animation of your rig almost instantly with one control! You could also draw paths to move hand placement and have the arms just follow like for a drummer or a conductor. I'm sure I'm just rambling andI don't know if that makes sense but hopefully making a target bone follow a path is something that SmithMicro might add in the future. If they do, that (I hate using this saying but it fits) would be a game changer! :)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I have a script for something like that ... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25384&p=162945
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »