Modify or create object outside frame 0 (design mode)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fuzatron

Modify or create object outside frame 0 (design mode)

Post by Fuzatron »

Is there some way to edit an object later in the timeline, and have it change at frame 0 also? Or create a shape anywhere in the timeline, and have it applied at frame 0?

For example:
I need to make a new hand later in the timeline to fit a particular pose. It's hard to do that by going back to frame 0. What i have been doing is creating a "point motion" frame where i need it in the timeline, then copy/pasting that frame back to frame 0.

I can toggle off "Enable drawing tools only on frame 0" in the prefs, but that generates useless stuff that needs to be cleaned up in the timeline after creating a shape or layer.... Is it "bad practice" to have this setting off?

None of this is a show-stopper, but wanted to be sure there isn't something i'm missing :)
synthsin75

Re: Modify or create object outside frame 0 (design mode)

Post by synthsin75 »

I always have drawing tools enabled for every frame. You're doing it right...copy/paste to frame zero. An alternative might be to move the layer/s you need to match back in the sequencer, until that pose is aligned with frame zero.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, if you disable 'Enable drawing tools only on frame 0' you just need to stay aware that it's off...but after messing up a few times, you'll quickly learn to be careful about it. :)

Nowadays, I think I normally have this feature disabled but when I was starting out, I had this feature enabled most of the time just to be safe, and only switched it off only when I really needed to use a later frame as a visual reference.

Alternatively, I might render out a later frame for reference, import the image so I can see it at frame 0, and draw directly to that image. If the camera was moving during the scene, I would just reposition the new element at the actual frame, and then copy or move the keyframe to frame 1 so the element stayed 'locked'.

But of course there's no single 'right or wrong' way to deal with this. It really depends on the situation so try out a few different methods and see what works best for you. The only 'bad practice' is the one that doesn't get the task done. :)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Importing a rendered frame is a great idea.
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

Glad to know i'm not doing it wrong at least. Thanks!!
And i'm going to try the alternate methods you guys mentioned too :)