FBF Animations with cutout characters

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Cobra5005

Re: FBF Animations with cutout characters

Post by Cobra5005 »

Cobra5005: I recommend you get hold of a book like "How To Make Animated Films" by Tony White (http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Animated ... 0240810333) or similar ones, because it seems to me that you may have mixed up some terms.

Cut-Out: this means the characters are not drawn with lines, but composed of discreet elements, like body parts, from photos or drawings or whatever flat material. This is a definition on the level of aestethics.

Frame-by-frame: this means the animator does all key poses and inbetweens by hand, not relying on automatic tweening done by software. The second meaning is to draw the character completely new in each frame, instead of building a puppet once and only move the skeleton later. This is a definition on the level of method of working.

So of course you can animate a cutout character in frame-by-frame fashion. But in AS you also have the choice, in each single frame, to let the program help you with tweening and even physics.
so how I animate a cutout character in fbf fashion like those videos?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hard to answer - what did you achieve so far in AS? Have you worked through the basic tutorials? Do you know how to build a rig and bind stuff? Did you animate bones?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I just now scrubbed through the videos and realized, oh, I did watch this over a year ago. I was learning Harmony at the time and I actually watched all of this artist's videos. Duh. :)

TBH, I don't see anything in this one that would be technically challenging to do in ASP 11. That's not a critique of the video or the technique--after all, this tutorial is meant to be introductory and the animator Kyu-bum Lee really does knows his stuff--but what's shown here is just transforming shapes/layers, pushing around points, and flipping through some multi-layer drawings for things like eye shapes, all of which ASP more or less has equivalent tools and techniques for so it's not unique to Harmony. (Admittedly, I only skimmed the video this time, so maybe I missed something?)

Just curious but exactly what part of the animation or technique are you responding to? The questions posed so far have been fairly broad, which is why the answers haven't been very specific.