How can I switch off the workspace rotation? ~ Solved

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

willf

How can I switch off the workspace rotation? ~ Solved

Post by willf »

How can I switch off the feature that makes my workspace rotate every time I touch the screen with two fingers?

It's quite distracting.

Short of constantly holding down the shift key, I can't even work without the workspace rotating all over the place. Yes, you can get it to snap back by using shift key, but it goes out of whack at the merest hint of a touch.

How can I shut this off? I tried disabling touch screen features, but that didn't help. I thought perhaps a more recent update would handle it, but no go there, either.

Any hints?
Last edited by willf on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Re: How can I switch off the workspace rotation?

Post by Greenlaw »

Turn off Multitouch. The check box is in the lower left of the workspace. This disables rotation but you can still scale using two fingers, which is pretty useful. That's how I use it anyway.

Hope this info helps.

BTW, I really wish Multitouch worked better in ASP. My biggest issue with it is that it erratically flips the workspace 180 degrees, making it a completely unusable feature. (This happens on the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Enhanced--I don't know if the same problem exists with other touch enabled tablets and computers.) If Multitouch worked more predictably in ASP, like the way it works in Clip Studio Paint, I would love to use it.
willf

Post by willf »

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I can't find the Multi-touch checkbox, I check Help to see if they have a screen shot, and it says:

Use the Multitouch checkbox (located above the Timeline on the left side) to enable or disable Multitouch support.

This tracks with what you wrote, but I see no such checkbox. Is this because I am using a laptop and not a touchpad? Or is it something with drivers being outdated that I can fix?

Maybe the fix is to buy a touchpad device, but hopefully there's a more cost efficient option.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Which version are you using? In ASP 11.2.1 it looks like this:

I'm not certain about this but I think the option should be visible whether you have touch or not. It shows up on my 'non-touch' desktop computer at work as well as my 'touch enabled' tablet computer. I'm almost sure I saw it on my old laptop too but I can't check that now. I don't think it's an OS issue because I'm using Win 7 at work and Win 10 on the tablet computer. Might be an issue if you have an older OS but I'm just guessing now.

Hopefully somebody who knows better will pop in.
willf

Post by willf »

Yep. vers. 11.2.1, build 18868.

I have a blank bar there.

At least I know I'm looking in the right place.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

From my understanding, the option only shows if the tablet is connected when AS is launched.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Okay, that explains the workstation since it has a cintiq attached. My tablet computer of course has touch built in, and even my old laptop had built-in touch, I just kept it disabled on that device. So I guess just the presence of touch enabled tech should enable the multitouch option.

@willf, so following that logic, since you apparently have a touch enabled computer, the option should show up. If it doesn't, maybe you need to update your touch screen's drivers?

Just curious but what computer do you have?
willf

Post by willf »

It's an old Mac Book Pro from 2010. It doesn't have a touchscreen or a drawing tablet attached, just a little glass plate.

Hey maybe this means I can use a capacitive pen with it.
From my understanding, the option only shows if the tablet is connected when AS is launched.
Maybe it's only a problem if you don't have a touchpad or drawing tablet.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

willf wrote:It's an old Mac Book Pro from 2010. It doesn't have a touchscreen or a drawing tablet attached, just a little glass plate.

Hey maybe this means I can use a capacitive pen on it...
I see. Even if it's technically a multi-touch input device, I guess a touch pad isn't recognized the same way to enable the multi-touch option button in ASP. That probably makes sense in some way, like if you have a multi-touch screen and a touch pad like my old HP tm2 had.

I would check the touch pad's native options and see if there's a way to disable the multi-touch features.

Personally, I almost never bother with a touch pad when working on a laptop, always preferring a mouse if I'm sitting at a desk. A touch pad is good for quick navigation while typing but a mouse is a lot more precise and useful in a graphics/animation program.

As for getting a CT stylus for the laptop's touch pad, IMO you'd be better off getting a real graphics tablet. Even a small entry level model would be a lot more accurate and useful. (As a matter of fact, my wife often prefers using a small/old Wacom Bamboo over a full size tablet because it takes up less space on her desk.) FYI, the new entry level Wacom Intuos models are fairly inexpensive--around $80 or so. I haven't personally used this model so I would check user reviews to see what others think.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I have zoom and rotate disabled on my touchpad.
willf

Re: How can I switch off the workspace rotation? ~ Solved

Post by willf »

Yes, thanks!

I went into my preferences of the trackpad and switched off rotation.

Oddly, ASP was the only program that rotated the screen with two finger turn on track pad.

Anyway, turning off rotation on trackpad fixed the problem, and I can still use the rotate tool to rotate the workspace.

Thanks for the help. This is definitely better.