animating colour

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nils

animating colour

Post by nils »

HI,

I made a layer style and aplied it to a character. I played around a bit with the colour settings and discovered i accidently animated the colour over time.
Does anyone know how to alter this colour animation? i can't find keyframes of it on the timeline. There are no keyframes in the individual (vector) layers, and on the character (bone) layer i see only rotate,translate and scale keyframes.

Help is much apreciated!

Nils
mattchee

Re: animating colour

Post by mattchee »

Go to the vector layer and select the shape in question using the select shape tool (Q). Then, in the timeline you should see the keyframes for the fill and stroke colors.
nils

Post by nils »

Thanks for the reply,

I selected all the vector layers one by one but there are no keyframes in the layers.
Somehow the layerstyle itself is animated but i can't find it's timeline (if there is one at all)
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Make sure "consolidate timeline" is not checked in the preferences.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Are you using custom Styles? If so, that does complicate things a little because the keys for color changes in a custom Style don't show up in the timeline.

Fortunately, Wes showed me a neat trick a while back for working around this problem:

1. Select your Style in the Style panel.
2. Click the Copy button in the Style panel.
3. Create a shape in another layer. Be sure the problem Style isn't applied to it.
4. Select the new shape and click the Paste button. This will paste the keyframes from the custom Style and they should now be visible. Remove or edit the keyframes.
5. Click Copy.
6. Select the Style that had the bad key frames and Paste. This should replace the bad keyframes with the edited/cleared ones.

I'm guessing you should be on frame zero when you do all this. Also, be sure you're using the buttons on the Style panel. I don't think regular copy and paste will work for this.

I admit this is a very convoluted process but it at least it allows you to edit the Style's 'hidden' keyframes. Hopefully, the developers will implement a better way to do this in a future release.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

nils wrote:Thanks for the reply,

I selected all the vector layers one by one but there are no keyframes in the layers.
Somehow the layerstyle itself is animated but i can't find it's timeline (if there is one at all)
Not sure if we're saying the same thing. If you select the vector layer on the layers pallet, you still need to also use the shape selection tool to actually select the shape on the stage to see the fill and stroke keyframes on the timeline. Wasn't sure if I was totally clear on that and want to make sure we're on the same page.

IF that isn't it, then it probably is a custom style's thing, and I defer to what Greenlaw says. :wink:
nils

Post by nils »

Thanks guys for all your input. I somehow removed the unwanted colour animation, it's still a bit puzzling how the colourpanel works with custom made layerstyles.
But i'll keep at it and hope to unravel all it's mysteries.

Does anyone knows good tutorials specific of colourhandeling and layerstyles? i know there is a lot out there but a step by step tutorial video could be helpfull.

Thanks,

nils :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Very old style window tutorial, but I think it's all still accurate.
nils

Post by nils »

Thanks! that's a realy good one!