How can I make duplicated layers independent?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

HHGG

How can I make duplicated layers independent?

Post by HHGG »

I want to duplicate the right arm of a man to create the left arm.
The right arm is binded with bones yet.
The left arm has to do another movement than the right arm.
So is duplicate layer the right attempt?

I have the right arm already. It has three layers (Arm_Top_Right,Arm_Bottom_Right,_Hand_Right)
I duplicated the three layers and renamed them to Arm_Top_Left,Arm_Bottom_Left,_Hand_Left.

To test I made invisble all apart from Hand_Left and manipulated it with the "Manipulate Bones" tool.
But the manipulation of Hand_Left is transfered to the animation as I would manipulate Hand_Right
and there is only one rigged arm to see in the animation although I have duplicated it.

So what went wrong and what have I to do to duplicate an arm with bones and have the new arm independent?
Is duplicate layer the right tool for this or have I to use another tool or have I to draw and rig all new?
obtusity

Re: How can I make duplicated layers independent?

Post by obtusity »

(Screenshots and solution from Anime Studio 11.2 but, as far as I know, it should still be very similar in Moho 12 although the interface will look different.)

That is expected behaviour, as far as I can see. When you copy the layer you also copy the binding settings for that layer.
Renaming the layers or bones will not affect the binding.

The usual workflow, as I understand it, is to build your entire character first, then to add bones and rigging.

However, the problem is easily solved - you just need to re-bind your left arm layers to the correct bones.

If you have a rigid "cut-out" style rig, where there is little flexibility to the pieces of your character and most pieces are controlled by a single bone each (I'm guessing from your post description of multiple layers per arm that yours is like this), just:
  • click the appropriate layer (image or vector) in the layer panel for the piece of character you wish to re-bind
  • then click the Bind Layer tool
  • then click on the appropriate bone that you wish to control this piece/layer
That piece should now be controlled by the correct bone.

If you have a more flexible character, where you might have a single arm piece/layer (vector or image) controlled by two separate bones (top and bottom bones in your example), then you:
  • select the appropriate layer for the arm
  • then select the bones you wish to control the arm
  • then from the Bone menu select Use Selected Bones For Flexi-Binding
HHGG

Post by HHGG »

Ok thank you.
HHGG

Post by HHGG »

I have a simple one bone to one layer binding.
I have three bones for one arm.

I thought I have access to duplicate the right arm to get the left arm.
I duplicated the three layers with bones for the right arm and in the duplicated layer
I bound the bones of the left arm new to the left arm:
I renamed the new Layers with _Left, then I
choosed layer Arm_Top_Left, clicked on "Bind Layer", clicked on bone to bind;
choosed layer Arm_Bottom_Left, clicked on "Bind Layer", clicked on bone to bind;
choosed layer Hand_Left, clicked on "Bind Layer", clicked on bone to bind;

But in frame 0 in the split apart perspective (appears if select bone tool is selected)
there is only one arm to see. And I don't now how to move one arm so both can be seen
(or are there really two?):

But there seams really to be two arms.
I placed the right arm above the body layer and the left arm under the body layer.

At frame thirty if I make the right arm invisble I can see the left arm behind the body:

And if I make the right arm visible I can see a arm in front of the body:

But if I move the left arm before the animation with the offset tool to the right
(for this I made invisible the right arm before moving , so I think I only moved the left arm)
both arms seem to move to right because in the animation there is now only one arm on the
right. But I thought I had only moved the left arm and so I would see two arms in the animation,
the right arm at the body and the left arm right to the body. But I see only one arm:

So I don't know: Have I two arms and the problem is to see both
or do I have only one arm although I think I copied one to get e second?