Mask group within mask group

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

oferhod

Mask group within mask group

Post by oferhod »

Hi all :D
I have a group with mask in it - that works fine.
Now I want to take that group and and to mask it in another group - not working :(

Is there any workaroung this in ASP11?
Thanks!!
Greenlaw

Re: Mask group within mask group

Post by Greenlaw »

It's certainly possible to nest masked groups within masked groups. I do it all the time. The thing is, OpenGL may not display it correctly so it may appear to not work in the Workspace. If the nested masking is set up properly, it should render fine though. Do a few Ctrl-R renders while setting it up to be sure you're doing it correctly.

Personally, I just ignore the display error (for me, it's usually eyeballs floating outside the head in a turnaround,) because it doesn't affect my ability to animate the character

If the error seriously affects your ability to animate a scene, you can hide the 'offending' layers by using Hide In Editing View, and set up an alternative duplicate layer or group that displays correctly in OpenGL. This layer or group will probably render incorrectly so set it to Don't Render This Layer. With this setup, the renderer will render the correct version at render time. Bear in mind, I would only bother with this in an extreme situation. Normally, I feel this is a waste of time--better to just get on with the animation.
oferhod

Post by oferhod »

Thank you Greenlaw!!
I was really desperate until your reply :)

I should have try CTRL-R at least once... :oops:

Thanks!!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

No worries, it's a common beginner mistake.

The other display issue that trips up new users is GPU Acceleration in the Display Quality settings. If something looks wrong in the workspace, try disabling GPU Acceleration. I usually have this option disabled but it really depends on a) your graphics card and b) the type of art you using and masking techniques applied. You can also turn this off globally in Preferences, but normally I just have it disabled in under the Display Quality popup list.

I think what this is supposed to do is convert your layers to bitmaps to speed up previews. I seem to have more display issues (usually masking related) with it enabled but, as they say, your mileage may vary.