transparent background for animaion

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Judy79

transparent background for animaion

Post by Judy79 »

I have created an animation for a co-worker who is placing it in a powerpoint and video. When she imports it, it has a grey background, she would like to use her own background. She would also like me to add video of a moving background. Can you help me figure out how to accomplish this if it is possible? Thank you!
Greenlaw

Re: transparent background for animaion

Post by Greenlaw »

What are you providing her? A movie file or an image sequence (individual frames)?

If it's a movie file, make sure you're saving it in a format capable of containing an alpha channel. (This masks the background.) You'll probably need to select PNG sequence for the movie to do this. Sorry, I don't normally export movie files from Moho for compositing but I think that's what you need to do.

If it's an image sequence, use PNG with alpha enabled.
Judy79

Post by Judy79 »

Thank you for sending an answer!

I am new to animation, however, well versed in creating 2D vector graphics. I'm still learning the workings and terminologies of MOHO but I think the answer is that it is a movie file. I have been exporting it as a MP4. I exported by choosing "Export Animation," then choosing "MP4," trying first by not enabling "Do not premultiply alpha channel," Then exporting again, by enabling "Do not premultiply alpha channel." Neither choice gave me a transparent background. Clearly I'm missing something. Yikes.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

In Quicktime, export in (animation)with million colors+ selected. HTH.
"and then Man created god!"
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I think technically .mp4 can contain an alpha channel but I'm not sure Moho's .mp4 supports an alpha channel. It might depend on the codec chosen--compressed codecs generally do not support alpha channels, and if they did, they would probably look 'chewy' because of the how images are compressed for video.

As noted above, Moho's .mov definitely supports it. If you're on Windows, be sure you have 32-bit version of Moho also installed--the 64-bit version requires it to use Quicktime. I'm not sure that's required for Mac.

If you use Quicktime, select PNG as your 'codec'. This actually saves a 32-bit image sequence in the .mov file, so you'll have an embedded alpha. (I just checked this on my tablet and this is correct.)

The Do Not Premultiply option is only necessary if your compositing program requires it. You can tell if you notice a matte line around the image after importing it. Some programs allow you to correct the alpha after importing, some will require you to re-render the .mov. If you don't know, you'll need to look it up or experiment with this option.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just checked Moho's .mp4 options and it only supports h.264, which definitely does not support an alpha channel.

Edit 2: I looked at the other containers and options in Moho and it looks like .mov is it if you want to include an alpha. (On Windows anyway; I can't check for Mac.) Alternatively, you can export a 32-bit .png sequence and compile the movie in another program, like a compositor or video editor. Some movie players can also resave the image sequence to a movie file. If your friend really needs it to be an .mp4 file, it might be possible to save it in another program this way.
GeorgeSB

Post by GeorgeSB »

Judy79 wrote:I have created an animation for a co-worker who is placing it in a powerpoint and video. When she imports it, it has a grey background, she would like to use her own background. She would also like me to add video of a moving background. Can you help me figure out how to accomplish this if it is possible? Thank you!
I was looking for this a few years ago because I wanted to mix live footage with my animations. For some reason it took a lot of research, trying out and emailing back and forth with the SmithMicro people (who were very nice btw). But it's actually very easy. At least on a Mac.
>>You don't want to add any background. Or, hide the background layers when you're exporting.
>>Select File>Export Animation (or Cmd-E on a Mac)
>>Select Output>Format>QuickTime
>>The PReset options for QuickTime will become available. Select QuickTime (ProRes 4444-AAC)
>>Click ok.

I use FinalCutProX to process my animations. So the next thing I'll do is importing the exported clip in FCPX, add the background, or live footage, voice-overs, music, re-time some of it, etc. No need to 'key' the animation anymore.

I'm not sure how it works on a PC.
But back when I couldn't figure it out, I created a green background in Moho (or Anime Pro back then) that would act as a greenscreen. I imported it into FinalCut. I keyed the clip to alpha channel it. Then I could add any background (or live footage) I wanted.
Hope this helps you!
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I needed a police car to drive by a 3D rendered animation I used the AVI uncompressed with the 'Do not premultiply alpha channel selected' checked (with no background), and using Corel Video studio X9 I imported and didn't even have to use Chroma key or alpha effects at all.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations