scale bone tool in moho12?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cabbage0896

scale bone tool in moho12?

Post by cabbage0896 »

I recently viewed a tutorial on youtube which used a "scale bone tool" does this tool no longer exist in V.12? It was being used in a front walk cycle to shorten and lengthen leg bones for a front walk cycle. What caught my attention was when the bones were lengthened or shortened the vector layer (or the points) that were (flexi) binded to the bone moved with the bone being adjusted. lets remember i'm the novice here, what am I missing is there an easier way now in V.12? After eighteen months using this version I find myself still learning and studying new things (heck masking still eludes me it shouldn't but it does!). I enjoy this software and this is something I would find useful, can someone explain bone scaling or an alternative for moho 12?... Thanks in advance C
drumlug13

Re: scale bone tool in moho12?

Post by drumlug13 »

Yes you were probably watching a tutorial of an earlier version. A few of the bone tools were combined, i think in AS11. Could have been AS10 I'm not sure.
Anyway, the Scale Bones tool is still there, it was just combined with Translate Bone and Rotate Bone tool. Now it's like a 3-in-1 as the Transform Bone tool.
Select the Transform Bone tool, then watch how your cursor changes as you hover over the middle of the bone and the two red circles that appear at the ends of the bone.

And I still can't build a mask without trying a dozen different combinations either. I eventually get where I'm heading but I feel like a blindfolded monkey trying to fly a space ship. Just keep hitting buttons until I find what I'm looking for.
Adam
cabbage0896

Post by cabbage0896 »

thanks for the response but I'm sorry to say your suggestion didn't work, is there some other way to access the other properties of the transform bone tool? just a heads up I am using windows 10 and moho 12. any other ideas?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You do have a transform bone tool, right?
What does it do when you hover over a bone?
Do two red dots appear on the bone?
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Wow I guess that was all the way back in AS 10 ... Time flies

Chad covers it in this video if it helps to see it in action.

Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Use the Transform Bone tool. When you hover over different parts of the bone, you activate different tranform modes. For example, click-dragging at the base is Move, anywhere in the middle is Rotate, and the tip is for Scale.

Sometimes it's hard to activate the modes because the bone may be occluded by another bone. Moho has you covered here too.

For example, if you need to scale a bone that has its tip obscured, hover over any part of the bone and hold down Ctrl or Alt and then drag anywhere near the tip of the bone you wish to scale. This will make the tool scale the bone without having to touch the tip. Ctrl or Alt also works for moving the bone if you click-drag near the bone closer to the base.

To rotate an occluded bone, hover anywhere near the bone until it's highlighted (the two dots) and then click-drag near the bone (not on the bone.)

This is much easier and faster than having all the separate transform tools.

Edit: I just noticed that the tool tips explicitely states Alt To Force Translation and Ctrl To Force Scale, but for me Alt or Ctrl seems work for either mode. It seems to have more to do with the region of the bone your near when you click-drag (base half or tip half).