Smart dial with mesh warp - not working on main timeline

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bitbutter

Smart dial with mesh warp - not working on main timeline

Post by bitbutter »

Any help uncovering where i'm going wrong here would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 'face' bitmap layer. I'm using a 2d triangulated mesh on another layer to warp it. I'm trying to set up a smart dial called 'face turn' which will do a bunch of things, including animating the points in the mesh layer to have the face shape change.

While i'm working in the smart dial action timeline the face warping is happening as I'd like, but back on the main timeline the bitmap face doesn't move when the smart dial is turned - though the triangulated mesh points do move as expected.

hayasidist

Re: Smart dial with mesh warp - not working on main timeline

Post by hayasidist »

looks as though you're on frame 0 when moving B9. try later in the timeline.
bitbutter

Post by bitbutter »

Great! thanks. That was it. Is there some kind of rule to understanding which animation can be previewed on frame 0 and which things only show up on the later frames?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

in simple / general terms - frame 0 is "set up" and elsewhere is "animate". e.g. On frame 0 in a bone layer the manipulate Bones (Z) tool shows you what the IK bone motion will do (and the bones plus affected vectors etc will snap back to their starting place when you've finished with that tool) - but transform bones (T) will change the starting position. On frame 1 onwards, transform bones will give you animation from the starting position. Same for other equivalent tools (e.g. point / layer motion).

hth