masking

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zoesan

masking

Post by zoesan »

Unable to use TinyPic so will have to textually explain. I've made a stylized slot machine in the flat, and have the coin tray as a black band, I've got the folder with two vectors Black band exit and a coin, the masking is set up and works for the coin to appear from behind the slot machine as invisible to visible within the blank band representing the coin tray, only it then gets 'masked' on exit, instead I want the coin to appear (it does) and then exist and not revert back to being 'masked'. Maybe something like this has been tackled by other members with tasks of their own.

https://screenshot.net/rr5wmi2
hayasidist

Re: masking

Post by hayasidist »

your screenshot is password protected!?

but did you mean like this??

SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

You can also animate the mask as well, if it's appearing and disappearing in the same space...
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Its exactly hayasidist. The link supplied shows the coins, except that when I go for them to extend further than the black bar, the coin disappears back into the mask.

Not sure about this screen shot outfit, you have two choices public or private: on public is just seems to disappear into the ether and private you get a

link: pswrd xxx

Tinypic just isn't working.

https://screenshot.net/pmzdms0
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

There's more than one image-sharing site -- try Imgur
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

there's no masking in the example I posted. it's all about thinking through the animation design. There are sooooooo many ways to solve this - and some could involve masking, but they don't need to -- that choice, IMO, needs to be made in the context of the animation.

This is what I did:
break the machine into 3 parts - pieces that are always behind the coin; pieces that are always in front of the coin and pieces that might be in front or behind.

IMO, this design choice is the critical step. It doesn't matter how neat a drawing you can create -- it's all about layering parts of the drawing that aren't necessarily "obvious" layers -- for example, in this case, the left and right parts of the front of the machine

and in this case the dividing line is the edge of the coin in slot and the top of the coin tray. swapping the coin in front / behind -- when the coin moves from the return tray across the front of the machine -- I did by animated layer order (and there are plenty of other ways to do that too).

in summary - this was four layers in a group: always front; front or back; coin; always back. and change the order to always front; coin; front or back; always back for the movement from try back to slot.

hth
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Thanks hayasidist less is more when you know how. I will brake down your post and apply it.