image interpolation setting?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hamedss

image interpolation setting?

Post by Hamedss »

Hi to every one. As my previous post I am sorry for my bad english. :oops:
In this picture you can see a leg of character that bend in knee. A complex bone system controls bending knee(and this system has no effect in my problem).
the problem is the low quality of interpolation in knee area. The layer is psd file and not moho vector. The corners ( segments) shows themselves when knee bends. :cry:
how can I change the interpolation so I have a nice curve in this area? :?:
thanks
slowtiger

Re: image interpolation setting?

Post by slowtiger »

This is kind of unavoidable. It's not dependent on how many bones you have in a chain (I tested this). But it depends on the length of the bitmap you want to deform. Shorter pieces bend nicer (tested).

Try this: cut your leg into 3 pieces (with a bit of overlap), place them in the same positions in the same bone layer.

When working with bitmaps it's recommended to use a more cutout style. Rubberhose limbs like this should preferrably done with vectors.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Hamedss

Post by Hamedss »

thanks
I will test it But i think the corners of overlapping bitmap sticks out.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

There's tricks to avoid that: round corners, feathered edges. But, as I said, it's more important to have the design fit the technique, and the other way round.

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If it wasn't a rubber hose limb, I would suggest using Bone>Create Smooth Joint for Bone Pair. This bends bitmaps much better.

Victor has a technique somewhere on the forum to use several smooth joints on the same limb, but that might be tedious for a rubber hose limb.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

^ The same thing crossed my mind.
Here`s the video (not sure about the topic here, on the forum)

Still, these sharp corners might not look the same when rendered. If so, there should be an option for fine or higher quality for raster images (sorry, forgot the actual description) which should help in that case.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Is it like that in your final renders? Moho will reduce the edge resolution of the vector in the workspace to speed up interactivity and to maintain realtime playback. If the final render quality looks good, don't worry about this.

You're probably saying, but this is an image layer, not a vector. That's true but Moho generates an invisible vector mesh for the image and uses that to deform the image.

If the edge quality is still bad in the final render, it probably means the autogenerated mesh's resolution is too low. This is common because Moho will attempt to keep it low to maintain performance. The problem becomes more noticeable for long, thin images like tails, stick limbs, rope, etc.

If that's what's happening, then you need to manually create a higher resolution mesh and use that to deform the image layer instead. After creating the mesh layer, you need to select it from the image layer's Layer Settings so it can be deformed by it. Then you use the bones to deform the mesh layer instead of the image layer.

Note that the Mesh layer will also work as a mask and you need to reset any cropping you may have applied to the image or it will not work correctly. Also, you can hide the mesh or set it to Don't Render This Layer. The mesh layer does not need to be visible to deform the image layer.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Greenlaw wrote:If that's what's happening, then you need to manually create a higher resolution mesh and use that to deform the image layer instead. After creating the mesh layer, you need to select it from the image layer's Layer Settings so it to be deformed by it. Then you use the bones to deform the mesh layer instead of the image layer.
This works in v12. For any lower version, my tip with breaking up the bitmap works as well.

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here's a comparison between the default and custom mesh deforming an image layer. The 'tail' on the left is using the invisible 'default' mesh, the one on the right is using a the custom mesh. The inset shows the custom mesh shape itself.

Note that I'm using only four bones here with the default strength. If I wanted an even smoother bend in the right tail image, I'd probably double the bones to 8 or so.
Hamedss

Post by Hamedss »

Hi and I am sorry for long delay to back here.
thank you all
the Greenlaw's solution is awesome it work like a charm :shock:
the Slowtiger's solution is also awesome :shock:

I wish you best
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sure.

One more thing: even though I said adding more bones to the chain can give a smoother bend, using only two bones can gives a very smooth bend too. That probably seems counter-intuitive but if you set the strength settings for the two bones high, the bones will bend the art in a smooth arc shape. Not good for detailed squiggly bends but if you just want a clean 'C' shaped bend, it works well.

Good luck!