How can I expand the entire animation?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BorisSt

How can I expand the entire animation?

Post by BorisSt »

Hello! I made quite a lot of animation (more than 1000 frames and a lot of layers), but did not think about the variety. In the end, everything happens very richly. I'd like to slow down the whole animation a bit by expanding the frames. Since the animation is almost ready, I wouldn't want to completely redo it. I just need in some places to move the entire animation after the temporary pointer for 1-2 seconds. Is it possible?
I hope you understand what I mean. Sorry for my bad english. :D
Maestral

Re: How can I expand the entire animation?

Post by Maestral »

It is possible but due to the mentioned a lot of layers, you might need a big screen to expand the timeline and to do it properly.

The easiest way would be to select all layers containing the animation and then to select the required group of keys on the timeline. Dragging the selected keys (left click and hold on one of the selected keys) would affect their time placement on the timeline but Alt+left click on one of the first or the last keys and dragging toward the opposite side of the group of selected keys would allow you to shorten or prolong that particular section.

Bear in mind that Alt+dragg might cause some overlapping with the existing keys, so if needed - first rearrange the neighbouring keys in order to make room for these adjustments.

BorisSt

Post by BorisSt »

Ohh I understood, I'll try to do this in a copy of the project so as not to spoil everything.
Thank you for the info and for the lesson, it's really useful.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

You`re welcome. Glad to hear I properly understood your question.
Chime back in to let us know if it worked.
BorisSt

Post by BorisSt »

I thought and decided to leave it as it is. Because I'm just afraid to get confused and spend time in vain. Moreover, the overall impression of the animation doesn't deteriorate and everything looks good.
Thank you once again for the info, Now I know that it works this way and I will apply it in the future :)
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Another option could be

A - time remapping in Video editing sw. Export the animation and then try to fine tune the timing.
B - to change the frame rate in animation (lower or higher), select ALL keyframes and then use Alt+click for fine tuning again.

Both of those would depend on your style and if there`s some swift motion, blur and similar - these might not work as expected. Trial & Error ,)