Layer bind a switch layer to a bone outside it's folder

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Layer bind a switch layer to a bone outside it's folder

Post by Greenlaw »

I dunno. That might be a bit fiddly since artwork can get obscured by 'invisible' artwork (like a large mask, for example,) and become un-clickable. I run into that issue all the time. Wes wrote a useful script that helps me work around that in some situations, but it still has some limits.

I think it would be much easier to click on a list item in a panel, like clicking on the name of item using Timeline visibility. It's not urgent, just another wish-list item that would be handy. I'll submit a request to the Devs.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thinking about this some more. It would be cool if this list panel allows you to make groups. For example, a group for each character in the scene. That would make nested layers you need to select often more easily found and selectable.

Any layer group associated with a project will need to carry over into a project when you import a character of course. It would be awful to have to keep rebuilding the selection list every time after you import a character.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Greenlaw wrote:I dunno. That might be a bit fiddly since artwork can get obscured by 'invisible' artwork (like a large mask, for example,) and become un-clickable.
In situations like that I often add an extra "handle" element - e.g. Stacked shapes where I'll add an extra separate closed path to the shape which stays outside the render area and I use that to get hold of the otherwise hidden item. Dunno if that's helpful in all situations you might encounter - but usually works for me. The setup time is small compared to the time I'll spend swearing at the monitor when I can't rapidly select the whatever it is that's hiding :roll: :D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's a good idea. I've actually done something like that before but using a transparent shape in the layer. Of course the trick then is knowing where to click since you can't see the shape. :)

Edit: I just revisited the above trick. I guess I must have Path display enabled, which shows an outline for the transparent shape. Of course this doesn't help the animator if they happen to have Path display disabled.