Make swinging tree bounce (keyframe interpolation)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Marbelous

Make swinging tree bounce (keyframe interpolation)

Post by Marbelous »

Hello,

I have a tree with a bone for the trunk, now it should swing a little bit because of the wind.
I can bend it, ok, but I'm looking for a little bounce when it moved to one side... I clicked the keyframe interpolation "bounce" and "elastic" but actually this makes it even more stiff.

How does that work, how do I get a little bounce on the end of a movement?
hayasidist

Re: Make swinging tree bounce (keyframe interpolation)

Post by hayasidist »

after the keyframe with "bounce" you need a keyframe that has motion relative to the position in the "bounce" keyframe.

e.g. This will bounce:
frame 30 - bone angle 75 - bounce interpolation
frame 50 - bone angle 80 - smooth interpolation

This won't:
frame 30 - bone angle 75 - bounce
frame 50 - bone angle 75 - smooth

nor will this:
frame 30 - bone angle 75 - bounce
(no more keys for that item)
Marbelous

Post by Marbelous »

Ok, I tried that, it worked, but I believe this is actually the wrong interpolation type for me...
I was more thinking of something like in After Effects these "Easyease-Scripts" the script there works on the last keyframe the movement bounces (or "swings") a little bit around the last keyframe and finally stands still.

"Bounce" here bounces like a ball on a hard surfaces, but I want it to bounce/swing a little bit behind its end position until it stands still.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

That`s why you have Bone dynamics* in Moho, where you may finetune the described motion.

*once on Bone layer, check the bottom of the Bone constrains dropdown menu and have fun ,)
** edit - Bone dynamics work independently from keyframe interpolations / actually, B. dynamics are determined independently from keyframe interpolation but are affected by it. The same B.d. setting would produce different results for diferent keyframes timing (short or long, i.e.) end even more different results if these keyframes have different interpolation/s.
Last edited by Maestral on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marbelous

Post by Marbelous »

Ok, I see. Thank you very much.

And if I would like to use such an "easyease" movement for a layer position change? For example sliding in an object from the side and it should stop with this little "easyease-swing".
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

You`re welcome. Glad to hear it worked for you.

Now, there`s a third approach to it - one could use Bezier interpolation keys which would enable the young padawan to use Motion graph (tab on Timeline, next to Sequencer)

p.s.
The frequent members on this forum would answer request and questions either way but, if I may, I`d recommend a swift look through the Manual. Then you`ll have even more questions but the answers here would be even more empowering. As is, it sounds like you`re only trying to mimic AE through Moho, which is not that uncommon - some guys wrote some scripts which should make making motion graphics in Moho a lot easier - so ... it`s up to you, after all.
Marbelous

Post by Marbelous »

...Oh no reading manuals ;-D...ok, no I found it, it's actually quite nice and well structured...

And now I found a video which shows some keyframe examples showing this "after effects way".

Two further questions:
  • Do Keyframe interpolations NOT work in bones?
  • And what's the best way if you would animate a character and to make him not move so stiff (for example lift arm), would the mentioned bone constraints be good or would this be animated manually with ordinary smooth keyframes?...I mean a little "shake" before he even starts lifting the arm, or when the arm lift movement ends. Is this mostly manually animated or some "interpolation/bezier/constraint-thing"?
PS: Where is a good source for scripts? "AnimeStudioTutor"?
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

I mean you no harm but the resistance is futile ,)

Q#1 - They do.
Q#2 - I`d go for a manual approach on characters but would look out for an automated one on shapes, motion graphics etc.

AST is a place to go but Search box here shall also help to find a few gems.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Marbelous wrote:PS: Where is a good source for scripts?
the search facilities on this forum leave a lot to be desired -- e.g. it won't let you use the keyword "script" as a search term.

what sort of script functionality are you hoping to find?
Marbelous

Post by Marbelous »

hayasidist wrote:what sort of script functionality are you hoping to find?
Not a particular one, I would just look what's around.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

As scripts have their own dedicated subforum, you could just browse there.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

… and, if you're wondering about writing one, the standard tools are implemented as scripts so you can look in the "out-of-the-box" content - e.g. (windows) C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Moho 12\Resources\Support

Just to make you aware, there have been several changes to Moho and to the scripting interface over the years that mean some older scripts simply won't work with 12.x or the functionality has been included in Moho so the scripts, even if they work, are in effect redundant.

But, anyway, good hunting!