Replace Character with updated Rig - but keep animation?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DrNibbert

Replace Character with updated Rig - but keep animation?

Post by DrNibbert »

Hello everyone!

I want to "update" a whole Character with a newer version of the rig but keep the animation i have already done.
I safed the rig in a seperate file and then imported it into a scene to animate it. Now i've redited the original rig, i want to transfer this changes to the rig in the scene, but keep the animation i've already done on the character.
Thanks for tipps! :-)
Showreel 2018 https://vimeo.com/254290989 - Moho 12.5.1, macOS 10.10, Adobe CS6
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Replace Character with updated Rig - but keep animation?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

If characters' bones share the same names, you can copy and paste keyframes between them.
Pasting relatively and/or editing the motion graph for some bones usually helps with possible issues.
Also, you can rename the bones after creating the character. For this kind of project, it is normal to rig following defined naming conventions.
For the future, using your character as a Reference should allow you to update the rig keeping the animation.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
DrNibbert

Post by DrNibbert »

Hello, thanks for your response!
Víctor Paredes wrote:For the future, using your character as a Reference should allow you to update the rig keeping the animation.
Can you tell more about how this works?
Do you mean saving the Rig into the Library and then check "Import by Reference" when importing?
When i do that, i have to use the "Update Layer reference"-Command to see the changes i do to the Library-file, but then again the animation already done on that layer is lost :(
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That doesn't sound right. Update Layer Reference shouldn't affect existing keyframes in the target project.

That said, I've seen Rig Reference misbehave when updating. This typically depends on type of changes made to the master file. If the changes are drastic, update results can be unpredictable or even cause Moho to crash. But occasionally, I've seen it do weird stuff even when the changes are valid. In these situations, I fall back on Victor's original suggestion: Import the revised rig without referencing and then copy and paste the keyframes directly, making any adjustments as needed.

After that, I'll continue to import the rig as a reference for new scenes. This usually works well...until it doesn't. :)
DrNibbert

Post by DrNibbert »

Greenlaw wrote:If the changes are drastic, update results can be unpredictable or even cause Moho to crash.
Aah, okay, maybe that was the case here :-) I tried it on a simpler file and that worked perfect, also keeping the animation!
For now i'll go with copying the keyframes 8)

Good to know that there are multiple ways to solve this!!
Thanks a lot!!