Select and move multiple layers

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rafael

Select and move multiple layers

Post by rafael »

Should be the easiest thing in the world, but for the life of me I can't figure it out...
Greenlaw

Re: Select and move multiple layers

Post by Greenlaw »

If you're just transforming layers (i.e., not the vector shapes directly,) just Shift-click all the layers you wish to transform. If you click the top layer and then the bottom layer, it should select all the layers in-between. Use Ctrl-click for arbitrary selections.

Then use the Transform Layer tool to move them. (Don't confuse this with the Transform Points tool...this tool works only on what's inside the current layer, not the selected layer or multiple layers.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you want to transform the contents of multiple layers all at once and leave the layers themselves in place, I don't think Moho can do this 'out-of-the-box'.

But I seem to recall somebody writing a script to do this a while back. Not sure if it works with Moho 12 but might be worth searching for.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Moving the layers is easier of course, but for rigging reasons, sometimes you really need to move the contents.

If you can't find a script for moving the contents of multiple layers, I have a technique I've used a few times. This will seem like a pain but here goes: first make a screen capture of the layer contents I wish to move; I'll use Snipping Tool to get exactly the area I want. Then I paste the captured image back into Moho, scale it to the actual size if necessary, and then I re-position the image and use it as a guide. Then, using Transform Points, I move the contents of each layer one at a time to line up with the guide.

This works fine if you only have a few layers of content to move but it could become tedious for a lot of layers. If that's the situation, I'd look for that script I mentioned. (Sorry, I don't have more info about it. I can't even guarantee I didn't imagine it;s existence.) :)

Naturally, it's best to draw things where they should be to begin with. Placing a background sketch as a guide to draw on prevents a lot of guess work and re-positioning later.
rafael

Post by rafael »

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I'm starting to realize I could have done this in a much smarter/efficient way. My character is on a unicycle, and depending on the way the wheel is facing, it needs to cover up either the right or left leg. To complicate matters, there are spokes that need to rotate.

I essentially split the tire and spokes up into a front and back copy. I'm realizing NOW that I probably could have just animated the layer order of the leg. lol

Live and learn. :p