Binding mesh to image

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Bluefountain

Binding mesh to image

Post by Bluefountain »

How does one bind the mesh to an image to warp it. I follow the tutes linking the image to the mesh, but it just doesnt work. When I move a vert the image stays put?
while Im at it -I cant even get the image to stay visible after the first frame lol
Greenlaw

Re: Binding mesh to image

Post by Greenlaw »

Are you on a later frame when you move the point?

Frame 0 is the setup frame so you won't normally see mesh displacement of an image by moving a point there. You need to be on frame 1 or later. (There are a few exceptions, but that's generally accurate.)
Bluefountain

Post by Bluefountain »

Thanks for response.

I am obviously doing something wrong. I use studio max so am reasonable clued on what to look for.

I have reinstalled the new software instead of the activated demo

Its always the same.
Developers need a total newb to write the tutes. When one is over familiar with the app important details are left out.

I cant get the binding to work. But then I have noticed how picky the tools for something so simple as implementing a gradient or closing a spline.

So I have started right at the beginning to know what everything does just to get to the parts I actually want.

Im going to be an asset to newbs one day by knowing every wrong turn
Hey ho

Greenlaw wrote:Are you on a later frame when you move the point?

Frame 0 is the setup frame so you won't normally see mesh displacement of an image by moving a point there. You need to be on frame 1 or later. (There are a few exceptions, but that's generally accurate.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Can you post a screen cap or movie of what's happening on your end?

The procedure is normally straight forward. Here are the steps:

1. Import an image.
2. Create a vector layer and plot your paths. Create your shapes. Make sure the shapes are enclosed where you want the image to be visible. An enclosed path that does not have a shape created is treated as a hole in the mesh.
3. Use Triangulate 2D Mesh to convert the paths into a mesh layer.
4. In the image properties under Smart Warp Layer, set the layer you wish to use for its mesh. Click Apply. (Actually, I think you can just click Okay. I still click Apply first because this was necessary way back in beta.)

Some notes:

Depending on your image and how you drew the mesh, the mesh will sort of act like a mask for the image. You will only see this effect in frame 1 or later.

To deform the mesh, you can animate the points directly or bind the mesh to bones and affect the mesh with bones animation.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I changed some of the terminology in step 2.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, one more thing:

If you're not seeing the image, you might need to do one of two things:

1. Move the image layer below the mesh layer, or...

2. Enable Transparency in the Display settings.

Technically, the layer position shouldn't matter because when you hit Render, you should see the correct results. But to see it in the workspace, you need to do either of the above. (Most users normally have Transparency enabled.)
Bluefountain

Post by Bluefountain »

Deep gratitude
I didnt realize my mesh was masking the picture
and I expected to deform the photo on frame 0.
oh boy - great start :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, yeah, you can also hide the mesh layer to make the image layer beneath it visible, and the mesh will still deform the image.

That's probably obvious but thought I should mention it for anybody else having these issues. :)
Bluefountain

Post by Bluefountain »

Im stumpted again and cant find a reference
This 'hole' in the mesh appears to be persistent. I cant seem to repair. I dont know if its a one sided poly that can be flipped or what the hell the problem.
Can smart mesh be used for auto lipsync ? or is it the captured image of a sequence - the actually distorted mouth images superimposed.
Its a bit impractical to do frame by frame.
As ever Any pointers gratefully received...

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That can happen sometimes after running Triangulate 2D Mesh. Just create a shape in the hole and it should be good. (With the Create Shape tool selected, select the 3 points surrounding the hole and press Enter.)

A Mesh layer is basically just a Vector layer with triangulation. In fact, if you draw your shapes in a Vector layer as triangles to begin with, you'll see that you're actually editing a Mesh layer. How to tell? A Mesh layer will have a different icon from a regular Vector layer. Once any closed shapes have four or more points, it becomes a Vector layer again.

It probably goes without saying that SmartMesh warping requires triangle shapes only.
Bluefountain

Post by Bluefountain »

Thats fixed it
Many thanks