decrease camera speed

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wr3yth

decrease camera speed

Post by wr3yth »

hi
i need to zoom out from an object but camera starts steady and speeds up in the end
i changed the first keyframe of camera zoom to smooth/ease in/ ease out/ and every other option
some of them like ease in/out made it look better but not enough
I
synthsin75

Re: decrease camera speed

Post by synthsin75 »

You probably want linear interpolation.
wr3yth

Post by wr3yth »

linear is worst!
ease out is a little bit better than others but how can i make it more-ease out?
and when i add another keyframe in between it looks terribly not-smooth
another problem i have is when i zoom too much, i can't move the camera, even when i move mouse for one pixel it moves like ten meters!
I
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It sounds like your zoom is set way too extreme for your animation. Try using a more normal camera zoom level and animating the camera itself on Z instead.

Alternatively, you might consider dropping your elements inside a group and scaling up the group. This way, the camera can move around normally over a larger area, which should prevent the 'overly sensitive mouse' problem.
wr3yth

Post by wr3yth »

thanks
but i think moho's camera isn't good
because sometimes it is critical to zoom extremely
in my last project director wanted me to zoom inside a characters eyeballs until it covers all the screen
then in next scene i had to zoom out from another character's eye into another scene
it was so difficult
I
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Sounds like you're making it harder than it is, but we can't really offer specific suggestions without examples.
wr3yth

Post by wr3yth »

i'm not too good with moho, i don't know all tricks
I
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Well then, if you`d have to do it in some other sw (from your preference) - how would you do it?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

wr3yth wrote:i'm not too good with moho, i don't know all tricks
But you're using it commercially?
wr3yth

Post by wr3yth »

Maestral wrote:Well then, if you`d have to do it in some other sw (from your preference) - how would you do it?
i don't have any specific way to do this, i always play with it until i make it
synthsin75 wrote:
wr3yth wrote:i'm not too good with moho, i don't know all tricks
But you're using it commercially?
yes :D
but i have a long way to be a professional
I
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I think Moho's camera is adequate for straightforward camera moves but I agree that it's not ideal for complex motions.

You might consider rendering out passes from Moho (using Layer Comps) and then doing the camera work in a compositing program or a 3D animation program. I routinely render out of Moho passes for compositing in AE, Fusion or Lightwave. Then, when more sophisticated camera choreography is called for, I can then create custom camera rigs that are easier and more precise to animate.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Bezier interpolation and show path really help animate the camera in Moho.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

wr3yth wrote:... sometimes it is critical to zoom extremely
in my last project director wanted me to zoom inside a characters eyeballs until it covers all the screen ...
it can be "tricky" if the object starts way off centre and you're trying camera zoom and track (x,y) at the same time.

one technique I've used is to use track first (x,y,z) to more or less centre the object and visually zoom; then finish off with a smaller tracking adjustment (x,y) and zoom in parallel … like this (all done with camera) Image
The inner rings are very small (smallest is .0008 diameter measured using the points' x/y coordinates) compared to the square (a little over 0.5 using the same measurement approach)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

One way to solve is is to use camera movement plus layer scaling. Set the origin point at the pupil. Do the camera zoom until the face fills the screen, stop camera there. Start layer scaling there, until your pupil fills screen. By adjusting the keyframe positions you can make it appear smooth.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote:Bezier interpolation and show path really help animate the camera in Moho.
@OP, In addition to that, I also suggest using two Workspace views in Moho, one for the camera's POV and the other set to Orbit view. This way, you can see the positional relationships, which can get easily confused if you're only ever looking through the camera and also manipulating the zoom.

Maybe someday nulls and IK/targets will be added to camera support for Moho? This will allow users to build camera rigs that behave like camera rigs in the real world, allowing greater control and accuracy.