Purse?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TheMinahBird

Purse?

Post by TheMinahBird »

How would you guys go about this crossbody purse? Here's a video of how it looks:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AhQIOu ... sp=sharing

And then here is the file itself!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LUC2QP ... sp=sharing
"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure" - Lord Byron
TheMinahBird

Re: Purse?

Post by TheMinahBird »

I just noticed the video file doesn't have the straps on the purse shown. But That's essentially what I'm trying to do. It shows it in the file itself. Sorry about that.
"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure" - Lord Byron
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

well -- if I start with the challenges as I see them -- there's a layer ordering issue to address crossbody2 / badge; not sure why you have crossbody2 and crossbody when, in effect, it's only crossbody2 that shows; in the 3/4 view - about frame 85 - strap is not properly connected to purse; and purse needs to be transformed from an end-on to side on view in the body turn.

IMO the first two are easy to address.

the purse turn itself is relatively easy - just needs a few extra points to go from oval to rectangle.

and strap / crossbody visibility can be handled in much the same way as your intentions with the copy by ref to make crossbody2.

Putting it all together, I'd be tempted to make a master layer of purse plus both straps and make a few copy by ref of that with segments visible / invisible suitably placed in the layer hierarchy according to whether parts of it are / are not occluded by arm / body...

but many other ways to deal with this too!
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

Thank you! I was thinking about putting a mask over the arm or something? Then the strap can seamlessly go in and out from in front of the arm?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I briefly looked at a masking solution - but decided that it was too much of a reorganizational challenge given where you were starting from. That's not to say it can't work - just that, IMO, getting there from here fell into the "too hard" box. However, all that depends on how far you're prepared to go in terms of restructuring. e.g. it's often helpful, especially in a front view walking, to have the arm in two layers - upper arm and lower arm - so you can use animated layer order to swing lower arm behind and in front of the torso - and that, combined with the crossbody / purse / strap setup you have might deliver what you want. You could also consider a separate 3/4 view rig and switch to it at an appropriate point in the body turn to address some of the post-frame-72(ish) challenges.

But my gut reaction was to preserve more or less what you have and address the challenge by bringing the idea you nearly implemented (the copy by ref to create crossbody 2) more into play.

I'm sure others may have approaches and opinions too - which are always welcome!
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

You don't have to edit the file, but how would the ordering on your suggestion be? Is there anyway you can provide a visual?
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

Because I'm having an issue where the back strap behind her is messing things up for the ordering. :( And I'm probably just not doing it right.
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HmCGuX ... sp=sharing

I also did a mask thing too! Was this your idea? :o
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

so far a reasonably successful try with the suggested vector layer with the entire bag / straps plus copies by ref - not good enough to publish yet though. The thing that I noticed when looking at a few reference images was how the straps and bag move by contact with the arm / body as the person moves. When I added point motion to the (master) bag and straps the result was ok - especially the way that "crossbody" is partially (and variably) occluded by the arm moving.
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dPcDK1 ... sp=sharing

I imported an mp4 of the video then masked over it ! With Moho, it's not perfect because I didn't meticulously tweak it but I just wanted to show a possible solution!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

the .mp4 isn't in the download :( but I'm glad you have an approach

(btw -- a video that you want to import and then export is best done with a lossless codec such a png -- best not to use .mp4 for production)