Export to PSD with Layers

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Export to PSD with Layers

Post by DK »

Hi.
Is there any way to export a moho file to PSD while maintaining the layers?
Thanks
D.K
Greenlaw

Re: Export to PSD with Layers

Post by Greenlaw »

Not directly but you can try this:

Use Layer Comps to 'break out' the project and use Moho Exporter's Split Selected Layer by Layer Comp button. I use this all the time to break out Moho scenes for compositing in AE or Fusion--one click and you get all your layers as a batch render. Be sure to select PNG or another compatible image format before clicking the button.

Then in Photoshop, use Load Files Into Stack to import all the image files to a single Photoshop file. (You can select all the images at once.) Save the layered PSD.

The above assumes you're rendering a single frame for a layered PSD image.

If you're rendering a sequence to multiple layers, you should be using a compositing program. But you can still use Photohop for this if you open the video timeline. You'll need to import each layer to the video timeline separately though.
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks Greenlaw. :D
Cheers
D.K
amanandink

Post by amanandink »

there is also an export to psd in the Export Animation - Image sequence - PSD and you can just set the length to 1 frame long is that is all you needed
it wont give you a fully layered psd, but will layer all the top level folders as a layer in the psd
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, cool! Thanks, Jeremy...I hadn't realized it worked that way. I guess this is useful for the broadest separations, like splitting individual characters from backgrounds. Good to know.

That's similar to what happens when importing an Adobe Illustrator file to After Effects--only the topmost AI layers/groups appear as separate layers in AE too.

To me, it seems like Moho's PSD Export should have the option to use Layer Comps settings to assemble the PSD. That could give users more control over how the PSD should by layered out.
DK

Post by DK »

Yes...I had tried that first and fast realized the layer situation ;)
Cheers
D.K