Bones simply are NOT working on my character

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MacCraw

Bones simply are NOT working on my character

Post by MacCraw »

I'm having major difficulties getting my character Sean (pictured in the thumbnail of a YouTube video I uploaded) rigged with bones. Individual parts of him, namely legs and arms, function completely fine on their own and look absolutely flawless (when they're in a self-contained bone that is NOT part of the main body bone). When I try rigging the entire body, the results are shown in the video.

Before anybody goes "Read/watch tutorials. GAWSH!" in an exasperated tone, I'll list out what I've already done.

1) Read through the sections regarding bones on both the User Manual .PDF and the Tutorial Manual .PDF;
2) Watched tutorials from multiple "veteran" Moho Pro users on YouTube, to include Poptoogi, McCoy Buck, and Chad from Incredible Tutorials.
3) Attempted to reverse engineer/dissect preexisting users' models within Moho Pro 12's content library.
4) Attempted to bind vector points/sections to specific bones, which isn't shown in the video but rest assured, I did try to do it exactly as Poptoogi demonstrated, and it didn't work.

I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing wrong, and what my specific issue is. If somebody could explain it to me in detail and point out the issue(s), I sure would appreciate it.

mrc

Re: Bones simply are NOT working on my character

Post by mrc »

Maybe you should have used "Reset All Bone Rigging" from the Bone menu. Helps when you want to re-draw your bone rig from scratch.

And then go through the layers, select the corresponding bones and choose "Use Selected Bones for Flexi-Binding" from the Bone menu.

Hope this helps.
Marc
You don't agree with the post above? Click here.
www.tricklabor.com/en
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

It looks as though you have flexi-binding on. Until you have bones that cover all the vectors, the few bones that you have influence all the artwork. Put some bones over the other bits of the body and they'll start to behave.

if there are still anomalies, check that bone parenting is as required (it's all too easy to accidently parent e.g. a foot bone to a head bone!)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

For some reason I can't see the video here, just a blank space in your post, so I'll comment based on what the others wrote.

If you're using Flexi-binding, you probably want to use 'Use Selected Bones for Flexi-binding' for the limbs. This limits which bones will deform the selected layers. If you use this method, be aware that it doesn't mean those bones won't affect other layers though. You'll need to work through the whole character and make sure everything is explicitly bound (with either Use Selected, or Point binding or Layer binding methods.)

Re: Reset All Bone Rigging, be aware that if you don't select something, this command resets your entire character. If you're having trouble with only a part of the character, select those layers before choosing this command. This way, only those layers will be reset and the rest of the character's rigging will remain intact.

Hope this helps.