Get my file back? (json error)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Meliodas

Get my file back? (json error)

Post by Meliodas »

"Failed to parse json document".
Hello,
I worked on a project for weeks and as I saved it, Moho crashed and now I'm stuck with this error. Are there some general reasons? This really, really sucks. If not, I could upload the file on Mediafire and send you the link.
No autosaving was done.
Thanks for advice....
synthsin75

Re: Get my file back? (json error)

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, if you post a link to the file, I can see if it can be salvaged. Corrupted files are really rare nowadays.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Sorry, man, but that's a completely blank file.
dondo

Post by dondo »

I had exactly this happen to me today as well. Because it's never happened I ignored the autorecover file (so it's gone forever), and that's when I discovered the file was completely gone. I saw in an earlier post that the Moho devs are working on keeping autorecover files around longer - anybody know the progress on that? Because "one shot or your screwed forever" seems awfully high stakes, and there's really no reason to remove them.

Fortunately for me, I'm on a Mac with "TimeMachine" and was able to wind back to earlier in the day, so I lost less than an hours work... but wow.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you have Autosave enabled, there might be a backup in the Autosave folder.

Last week, one of my co-workers had a crash which resulted in a blank Moho file. We found nothing usable even in the Autosave folder but we were able to recover an hour old version using Windows Previous Version command. Previous Version requires you to enable it beforehand of course.

I'm paranoid about working in any program so I have a habit of making many, MANY incremental saves while I'm working. If I ever do lose work, I might lose 15 min. at most. IMO, this a good habit to get into no matter what program I'm working in.

BTW, if you do use Moho's Autosave, make sure you're using the latest version of Moho 12. The earlier releases from a couple of years ago had a bug that made the program less stable with Autosave and it would save corrupted files. Autosave works fine in the current version.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

dondo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:12 pm...Fortunately for me, I'm on a Mac with "TimeMachine" and was able to wind back to earlier in the day, so I lost less than an hours work... but wow.
Awesome! Thank goodness for that. :)