Dangle Physics?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

x-vishon

Dangle Physics?

Post by x-vishon »

Hey guys, Im trying to do a thing and its giving me issues... I want to have dangle physics on several layers

[youtube]https://youtu.be/T-7uTIfXW8E[/youtube]

Adobe Character Animator handles this well where you can set things to dangle attach them to the head and have things fall into place and then settle out. Im trying to do this in moho with bone physics but I cant for the life of me seem to get it working in a similar way. anyone know how this would work?
~ David McInnis
synthsin75

Re: Dangle Physics?

Post by synthsin75 »

Try having small bones at the base of dynamic chains that target a bone(s) at the ground.
x-vishon

Post by x-vishon »

Not sure I follow.
~ David McInnis
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Might be easier with an independent angle bone as the parent of an dynamic bone chains.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I agree with Wes that you should probably do this by enabling Independent Angle on the root of your bone chain. Moho's bone physics has no gravity property so, to simulate a 'dangle' effect, you need to fake the gravity. Using Independent Angle, the bone can sort of have a direction to point at (i.e., the ground.)

Like this:

In this example, Indpendent Angle is applied the 'top' bones of each chain. Also, dampening force was increased on all of the bones to get them to settle quickly and evenly.

Here's the project file:

DangleBones.moho

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, if this is for hair, I wouldn't bother. IMO, hair looks better when it's keyframed using the Sketch Bones tool.

Edit: A little clarification...

Dynamics are going to do what they're going to do, which means they're not necessarily going to do what you want them to do.

For example, back when I created the HLF titles, I used dynamics for some of the characters' hair. I didn't have a lot of time to animate that project and Bone Dynamics seemed like a practical shortcut for some of the secondary animation. But looking back I think the hair looks weirdly springy and 'digital', and now I wish I had just taken the time to keyframe it. (Not re-doing it though; the client was satisfied and that's probably all that matters.)

I actually think dynamics are fine if you totally embrace the look and use it consistently in the production.

Or...when you're in a super hurry and need to just get things done. :)