3D Plane Butterfly Wings

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: 3D Plane Butterfly Wings

Post by Greenlaw »

I thought of a dumb trick for simulating a 3D path with Follow Path: If you orientate a path so that it's like a flat map in the scene (i.e., like a bird's eye view of the project area,) and then animate that layer up and down along the world's Y-axis as the butterfly travels along the path, you can effectively get Follow Path to work in all three dimensions. It's a little clumsy but, if the butterfly really needs to move along a 3D path and you really need to do this in Moho, this is a way to do it using Follow Path. I would do this in stages: 1) animate the butterfly traveling along the path, 2) re-orientate the plane with the path in 3D, 3) animate the plane with the path up and down. The butterfly's group should be oriented to camera of course. I haven't tested this myself but I think it should work.

(Still think this would be easier using a real 3D curve for the path in a 3D animation program but this is one way to do it in Moho if using a 3D program is not an option.)
DK wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:06 am Hi Scott.
I know you are busy buw Would it be at all possible to take a look at the file of just the butterfly?
By 'Scott', did you mean me? My name isn't Scott but I think my daughter will be okay about sharing the file. If you like, I can ask her when she wakes up this morning. :)
DK

Post by DK »

Oh sorry not scott :) I feel a little bit odd calling people by their name tag on the forum these days...especially the ones who have been here for so long. I thought I read someone refer to you as scott in a post a while back.

BTW, There's no need to share your daughters file. Selgins technique actually works perfectly.

Cheers
D.K
Last edited by DK on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

No worries, glad to hear you got your setup working! :)