Shorten a frame in switch layer

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

uncle808us

Shorten a frame in switch layer

Post by uncle808us »

At the end of a switch animation I have always one long frame at the end.
How can I shorten this frame?
Thanks
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
Greenlaw

Re: Shorten a frame in switch layer

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't think you can because, being a Switch layer, there has to be an infinite keyframe there. The last keyframe in a Switch layer is always active because the Switch layer needs to be set on one of it's layers. If anything, the last keyframe's range should extend forever, but I'm guessing the bar is programmed to look shorter for some technical reason.

In fact, if you attempt to shorten the range of the keyframe, it will actually increase in length. (I confess, that's kinda weird.) :)

If your intention is to hide the Switch layer at a certain keyframe, there are two things you can do:

1. Add a blank layer in the Switch. I like to do this because it keeps all the animation in a single channel. Or...

2. Animate the visibility of the Switch layer.

If the 'range' display of the keyframes bothers you, you might try enabling Interpolate Sub-Layers, which will display the timeline like a 'normal' Moho timeline. Unless you're actually using the interpolation modes though, I think this display will actually be more confusing to edit because you don't immediately see the active range of the Switch keyframes.

Personally, I just ignore it. Even if you made it shorter, the effect is the same--the keyframe will actually be longer than whatever you shorten it to.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Thank you
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

I've had some luck just adding a dummy keyframe to the right of the existing frame, using it to shorten the frame, then deleting the dummy keyframe.
- Dave

(As Your GM)