Disable Space Bar While Drawing

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Disable Space Bar While Drawing

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm trying to remember how I had my Companion setup. I think it was something like:

- Assign undo and redo to left and right rocker buttons.

- Lower rocker is Shift.

- Lower two buttons are Alt and Ctrl

- Top button was to switch screens when the tablet was converted from mobile computer to desktop tablet mode. You'll probably want this if you use the Wacom Cintiq on a desktop that also has a regular monitor.

- Second from Top was probably set to Esc or 'Drop Selection' (i.e., points, shapes or bones.)

Something like that anyway. I can fire up the Companion later to double-check.

For everything else, I originally used Wacom's On-Screen Control (OSC) panel, which is an eight button on-screen panel you can configure to send almost any Moho command. If you have a Wacom tablet, OSC panels can be set up from within the Wacom Control panel. It's possible to make custom OSC panels for any of your programs and you can even make multiple panels to use for a single program.

However, for me, the problem with Wacom's OSC was that I had to create almost 3 full panels just for Moho, which was a bit much and they used up a ton of screen space, so I created MQC to hold all of my frequently used Moho commands in a single compact panel. MQC even does a couple of things I couldn't do with Wacom's OSC panels.

Anyway, MQC works great with a stylus because it's much easier to click on an ever present button than it is to dig around Moho's menus and tool options for hidden buttons. And MQC isn't just for tablet users, it works great with a mouse and keyboard too.

I'm recording an intro video tonight and, if all goes well, I'll make MQC available for download tomorrow.

BTW, you're running Moho on Windows right? MQC only works on a Windows computer. (Tested on Win 7 and up.) Sadly it won't run on a Mac but I'm sure MQC can be replicated by a Mac user. I'll make the uncompiled script available for any Mac user who want to adapt it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here's a comparison between the MQC and Wacom OSC. The top panel is MQC and the lower three are OSC:

I'll explain the workflow in the video.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

drumlug13 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:04 pm It's the whole getting used to drawing with a tablet that has everything sideways
It's just as well. I just checked, and I didn't find any way to stop Moho from playing by script. I can keep it on frame zero (even without setting the start and end to zero), but it's technically still playing and slowing things down until you hit space again.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:33 am

It's just as well. I just checked, and I didn't find any way to stop Moho from playing by script. I can keep it on frame zero (even without setting the start and end to zero), but it's technically still playing and slowing things down until you hit space again.
Thanks for taking the time to look into it Wes.
Greenlaw wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:06 am Here's a comparison between the MQC and Wacom OSC. The top panel is MQC and the lower three are OSC:

I'll explain the workflow in the video.
Wow... I had no idea that OSC was even a thing. Can't wait to see this. And yes, I am using a Windows pc
Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sorry, falling behind schedule. I don't want to release MQC until the accompanying 'Animaker' video is ready, which was recorded this weekend but I need to finish editing and add a title card. Will hopefully upload in the next couple of evenings.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Don't sweat it. Looking forward to it but take your time.
Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for your patience. I actually have a handful of other 'Moho' videos I'm trying to finish and post, but ATM I'm giving this one priority.
drumlug13 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:16 pm Wow... I had no idea that OSC was even a thing...
Come to think of it, I probably had an Express Key on the Companion assigned to open the Moho OSC. That is, until the number of Moho OSC panels I needed grew. At one point, I even considered making an OSC to open other OSC panels...it was then I decided OSC was inadequate for the way I use Moho, and MQC was born.

That said, OSC is still pretty cool and I like to use it for other programs where I don't need as many buttons.
highball326

Post by highball326 »

if you are referring to the "inability" to use the spacebar to move the canvas but get the play action, well... check this out... if you press the spacebar, use the mouse clicked to move the screen BEFORE you release the spacebar and the play action will be cancelled. pressing and releasing the spacebar without using the mouse will cause a play action. hope that helps ya!
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

I love being able to use the right mouse button for panning but I think I would opt out of it for a context sensitive menu. I still click it for that reason and it just moves the screen :(
It also screws me up when I'm drawing in other programs I keep trying to right click to move the canvas and it asks if I want to move or copy :roll:
I think the space bar would be better served for moving canvas and right mouse for a menu (I'm also good with a Shift + Spacebar for 'Play')
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
ImpMontezuma

Post by ImpMontezuma »

For me, the space playing the animation is the most annoying thing about moho. Yes, I know it would be easier to use the right click to move the screen and forget the space bar, but telling that for my photoshop trained brain is not easy. I do it all the time without even noticing. Also, is really that hard for the developers to add an OPTION to turn off the space playing the animation? It doesn't even need to be off by default, just gives us an option to turn that feature off.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It only does that if you tap the space bar.

If you press and hold the space bar, Moho works in 'grabber' mode just like in Photoshop.

This behavior is consistent with how the space bar works in Adobe After Effects too: tap to play, press-and-hold for the grabber. It just takes a little practice to get used to it.

Hope this helps.