How to copy an object from one layer and paste it in another?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Angelluc

How to copy an object from one layer and paste it in another?

Post by Angelluc »

Hi I am just starting out and encounter of course some bumps on the road for which I mostly find a solution after some trial and error but one thing at the moment I want but don't know if it is possible.
I made a little animation exercise with 3 layers. The end frame (360) of one layer gave me inspiration to make the animation longer. For that I want to copy the last keyframe of that layer and copy it to a new layer as a startpoint (at 360).
But I don't manage to do so. If I copy the keyframe (with only the layer visible I want to copy) I can only add a key frame but that doesn't give the effect I want. I also tried to just select the created object, copy it but when I open a new layer there is no "paste" option.
Can't imagine it is not possible one way or another....probably very simple :D
Hope someone can shine a light on this for me.
alanthebox

Re: How to copy an object from one layer and paste it in another?

Post by alanthebox »

Hmmm.... I admit I'm not entirely following what's going on (is there a reason you don't want to just continue the animation on the layer?)… but you could potentially duplicate the layer (right click on the layer, select duplicate) and then set that layer's visibility to off at the beginning of the animation, then turn it on at 360. Or you could go to edit/copy layer, and then edit/paste layer. Would either of these options help you get the effect you want?
Angelluc

Post by Angelluc »

Thx for your reply @alanthebox
Because I want to use both layers as 2 identical objects going further...
I already had duplicated the layer but didn't know you could turn parts of the animation off and have to find out now how to do that :-)
That would do the trick yes, thx
Angelluc

Post by Angelluc »

Yesss I found out how to make it partly invisible after long trial and error but it works and I managed to try out what I wanted. Great, thanks for putting me in the right direction.... :D