Pixelated workspace images

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

the_gill_boy

Pixelated workspace images

Post by the_gill_boy »

Okay,
So this isn't a huge deal, just a minor annoyance but I am wondering if anyone has come across this while working in Anime Studio Pro 11 (that is what I am on) or if you know how to resolve it. Basically, whenever I get more than a day into a project all my images in my workspace begin to look like potatoes. Everything gets very pixelated. Not sure if this is a way the software saves power by cutting down on rendering layers or what, but it is kind of annoying. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Greenlaw

Re: Pixelated workspace images

Post by Greenlaw »

Just wondering, does it look any better when you disable GPU Acceleration from Display Quality?
the_gill_boy

Post by the_gill_boy »

Yeah, it does actually. What exactly does GPU do? Any clue why it was causing this? Thank you by the way!!!
the_gill_boy

Post by the_gill_boy »

I googled GPU and watched a video, I wonder why it was working in reverse for me. Thank you again for your help! Much appreciated!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

In Moho, GPU acceleration converts vector art to bitmap in the graphics card. In theory, this results in faster playback and interactivity but at the cost of accurate display preview quality. IMO, it's usually not worth it because certain masking setups may display incorrectly.

For me, I leave GPU Acceleration off until I come into a situation where it might help me work faster. How well it works on works dependent on the techniques used in the puppets and the complexity of your project.

My advice is to try it on and off to see if it works for you.

Note that regardless of having it on or off, GPU acceleration has no effect on rendering speed or quality. That is, enabling it does not make Moho render faster or with any higher quality.

So, if you like the UI performance and don't mind the slightly degraded Workspace preview quality, you might want to leave it on. (I would actually leave it on myself if it didn't affect the masking previews.)

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
the_gill_boy

Post by the_gill_boy »

Interesting, thank you for explaining that! Good to know!