Flashing Title

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sparkyrr

Flashing Title

Post by sparkyrr »

Hi am working on an animation using Anime Debut 11, I want to be able to make a title look like it is flashing on and off intermittently how do I achieve this action

Many thanks

Mike Hayes
slowtiger

Re: Flashing Title

Post by slowtiger »

Layer property panel, check/uncheck visibility where needed.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
sparkyrr

Post by sparkyrr »

slowtiger wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:52 pm Layer property panel, check/uncheck visibility where needed.
hi slowtiger how do I do this,sorry to appear "thick" al new to me but working things out!
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

You should've decided if the 'title' is already visible or not, at the beginning of the animation. For this and for its 'on' & 'off' states:
- double-click the desired layer
- on the upper left side of the layer properties panel, on General tab, there's a checkbox for "Visible"

If unchecked on frame 0, the layer will be invisible during the animation. When you need it to be seen, place the playhead on the desired spot on the timeline and - double-click the layer and on l.p. panel check Visible. The layer will be visible from that point on, till you uncheck it.

Each time you change the state of visibility a keyframe is created on the timeline, for that layer. Once you have these keyframes, and if you need it to be some sort of a flashing neon sign you may:
- copy-paste them where you need them again OR
- right-click on the last keyframe and choose Cycle from the dropdown menu.
This should open a Keyframe panel where you may adjust the cycle towards your preferences but also a rectangular 'arc' would appear above the keyframes (on the timeline) for that layer depicting the span of the cycle (which frames are repeated). After a few tryouts, I'm sure you'll figure out which settings would fit the bill.

This method works like a light switch with the simple on/off states but if you use 'Opacity' instead or even combined, you may achieve some dimming effect as well. This largely depends on the sign's design since for this effect to be convincing you'll need to find a proper length of the switching sequence, you'll need some background behind the sign or some other nearby surface to receive the reflected light, you might need to divide the sign into a couple of layers if there's some outline on it.... etc. Again, a few tryouts would be necessary till you fine-tune it but this should be worth it, especially during these festive days :)