Bone Head

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Fahim, Distinct Sun, Víctor Paredes, erey, Belgarath, slowtiger

Swonic

Bone Head

Post by Swonic » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DK_LH ... lTe13DTfL8
I'm having trouble with my heads bone. It seems to distort my head, all the layers are already binded. What should I do?
The link above are images of examples of the trouble I'm having
hayasidist

Re: Bone Head

Post by hayasidist » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:38 pm

check the bone strength (tool default shortcut S) and bone binding mode (layer settings bone tab). It looks as though the bones other than the head bone are affecting the points in the head vector and/or the head bone strength is not covering all the points in the head vector.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm

For me, I normally only want a single bone to affect the head layer (unless I actually want the head deformed with multiple bones) so I like to use Layer binding on the head layers. This is a rigid binding method so none of the other bones will deform the contents of those layers. I like Layer binding because it's simple and direct, however I avoid using Layer binding directly on the head group because that prevents me from using bones inside the group (like for the eyes, etc.) Depending on your layers setup, you can select multiple layers and Layer bind them all at once. BTW, Layer binding works even when the bone strength is set to zero, which is useful in some situations.

Alternatively, I'll like to Use Selected Bones For Flexi-binding. Just select the head layers, select only the head bone and apply the command. This excludes all other bones from affecting those selected layers. In this case, the bone will need to have at least a tiny bit of strength to affect the layers.
D.R. Greenlaw
Artist/Partner - Little Green Dog | Little Green Dog Channel on Vimeo | Greenlaw's Demo Reel 2019 Edtion
Lead Digital Animator, Dreamworks Animation

Daxel

Post by Daxel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:00 am

Greenlaw wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm
however I avoid using Layer binding directly on the head group because that prevents me from using bones inside the group (like for the eyes, etc.)
I'm not sure if I understood that. When you say "bones inside the group" do you mean bones that are in your main character bone layer but are being used to animate layers that are inside the eye group?
or you are talking about creating another bone layer inside the eye group to control the eye? In this last option, as far as I tested, I cannot see the difference between having the layer bind on the head group or on the eye layer. Either way I can control the eyes with a bone layer created inside the eye group.