walk cycle beginer

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

calame74

walk cycle beginer

Post by calame74 »

Good morning all
I tried my first walking cycle
it seems to me that there is a jerk, a stop, how can I do so that the cycle is perfectly fluid?
i can send my moho file if somebody can watch it (email)
https://giphy.com/gifs/fXQN0g8gVQLM3S0Y3u

thank you
hayasidist

Re: walk cycle beginer

Post by hayasidist »

The loop looks as though the end frame is the same as the start frame - IOW the loop goes back one frame too far.

If not, then check the key frame types - linear might work better for you than smooth / ease-in/out...
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Seems to me that, apart from hayasidist's advising, you should pay some more attention to arms since there are a few frames missing for those arms to 'unfold' properly.
Just as you made the legs - make the arms 'land' into their starting positions.

On a side note...
Seems like you could give it another look at the leg's positions because the same thing with 'landing/unfolding' happens. Since the body & head are not animated, this lad is far off of the balance when his 'back' leg is lifted from the ground. You could get away with it if he'd be running or if b&h were animated and compensate for the weight but as is - it just sticks out from the otherwise nice walkcycle.
In short - I'd avoid partial animating within the wc since both b&h are a very nice addition to it. Let alone how useful or important these could be, especially for practising.
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

That sort of jump can happen when the figures first frame of the cycle is too different from the last fame of the cycle, especially when both the first and last frame are keyframes because the timeline is forced to jump from one pose to another very suddenly.

How many keyframes do you use? I typically use 4 in a walk cycle.

A. Left foot/right hand forward, right foot/left hand back
B. Hands neutral. Left foot down, right knee bent
C. Right foot/left hand forward, left foot/right hand back
D. Hands neutral. Right foot down, left knee bent

Now, if we're keyframing every four frames, your timeline may look something like this:

0.A.2.3.4.B.6.7.8.C.10.11.12.D

But depending on what you pose after D, the cycle may line up irregularly.

What you want to do to make a smooth walk cycle is use the selection tool to copy and paste the 'bone dot' at A on the other side of D so it looks like this:

0.A.2.3.4.B.6.7.8.C.10.11.12.D.14.15.16.A

Now cycle from the final 'A' at frame 17 back to frame 2, which is just in front of the original 'A' at frame 1. This should produce a matching cycle.

Since I'm on debut and can't use pose libraries, I find it faster to copy/paste frames in the timeline for some cycle poses. I don't use it as much for walks since I can copy and past the entire cycle to make 2 cycles, then four, then eight, and I know they'll like up well.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
calame74

Post by calame74 »

Hello
thank you for all your answers, I'm going to google translate to translate them, and I'm watching this we :)