Mask showing the opposite on the working view

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Mask showing the opposite on the working view

Post by Daxel »

Hi!
I'm having this problem with Moho 12.5:

I have a group layer called "FACE_MASK" that is the typical basic "Hide all" type mask.
Inside, I have in this order:
[*]One "nose" vector layer that shows outside of the face because I have it with the "don't mask this layer" option checked.
[*]One "eyes" vector layer that doesn't show outside of the face because I have it with the "mask this layer" option checked.
[*]One "face_shape" vector layer that is "added to the mask" and with the "exclude strokes option" checked too.

With that setup the drawing looks as intended on the working view and also when I render it. But I have another proyect, that has exactly the same mask settings, just different layers, and I don't know why when I render it it looks as intended, but on the working view it looks exactly the opposite, with the eyes showing outside the face and the nose being hiden by the face.

Someone more experienced can point me in the direction of what I've done to make the working view to show exactly the opposite of the mask settings and the rendered image?
slowtiger

Re: Mask showing the opposite on the working view

Post by slowtiger »

The project window had a problem displaying some masks since day 1, I don't care as long as the render is fine.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

slowtiger wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:39 pm The project window had a problem displaying some masks since day 1, I don't care as long as the render is fine.
I can can live with that since the render is fine, but I would like to understand what I've done to avoid it if possible. The messed proyect has the same mask settings, the differences I see are that it is more complex, so it has one group layer for the nose, one switch layer for the mouth, etc. Edit: maybe it has something to do with the fact that the group for the eyes is another mask. I don't care too much if I see the eyes outside the face, the real problem is with the nose, because I cannot see it.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Nested masking is especially hard for the workspace to display correctly.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, nested masking has always had issues.

What sort of helps...sometimes...maybe...is to switch off OpenGL acceleration. This doesn't fix all errors but it might make things look better.

If it's really important to see a display preview that looks close to the render quality, you may need to re-configure the masking setup. This might require using additional layers and groups and layering things differently, but when I need to do this, I can usually figure out a combo that works for me.

Another trick is to make a separate group configured to only display correctly in preview and not meant for rendering. You can use Layer Comps to toggle which version gets seen or rendered.

Most of the time, I just live with how it looks in the workspace. So long as the errors don't seriously affect my ability to animate the project, it's really no big deal. And when the display errors do interfere, one of the previous recommendations will do the trick.

I know the devs have been re-working OpenGL in Moho so maybe this will get better in a future release.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Thanks for the answers, I will try to work arround those problems. The worst is that there are some drawings that I cannot see at all in the workspace, so I have to work seeing only the points and render frecuently. I will try the things you sugested, and maybe references can help with the drawings not showing. Hope that OpenGL rework brings many improvements!