Prevent a layer from being moved by the group it's in

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Prevent a layer from being moved by the group it's in

Post by Daxel »

Sometimes I feel like my life would be easier if I could just prevent a layer from being moved by its parents (or the bone they are vinculated to).
This happens when I need to put one drawing (for example: a lollipop) inside one group layer (for example: the mouth group) for masking purposes (the lips of the tongue being animated above or bellow the lollipop) but I'm not really interested in moving the lollipop layer when I, for example, move the mouth group with the Transform Layer tool or even the head bone that moves the mouth group. So I would love if I could have a way to tell moho: prevent this layer from being moved by it's parents.

Is there a way to achieve this? Maybe a script?
slowtiger

Re: Prevent a layer from being moved by the group it's in

Post by slowtiger »

Usually I create one separate root bone for this purpose to which I layer bind that item. Additionally I could set this bone's restraints to 0 so it can't be moved accidentially.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

slowtiger wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:33 pm Usually I create one separate root bone for this purpose to which I layer bind that item. Additionally I could set this bone's restraints to 0 so it can't be moved accidentially.
I'm not sure if I understand. I tried that but didn't prevent the lollipop from being moved when I moved (with the transform layer tool) the mouth_group it was in.
Maybe I'm not explaining it well, english is not my fist language. When I move one group layer with Transform Layer tool, the layers inside that group move as well, and I just want one of those layers inside the group to not move when I move the group.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Ah, I didn't get the setup right.

So you have a bone rig, inside is a mouth group, inside this mouth group is the lollipop layer. You want the lollipop remain in place when the mouth group/its bone gets moved.

Create the root bone I mentioned in the same bone rig that controls the mouth group.

(Usually I'd expect the lollipop bound to some hand bone.)

Daxel

Post by Daxel »

slowtiger wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:35 pm Ah, I didn't get the setup right.

So you have a bone rig, inside is a mouth group, inside this mouth group is the lollipop layer. You want the lollipop remain in place when the mouth group/its bone gets moved.

Create the root bone I mentioned in the same bone rig that controls the mouth group.

(Usually I'd expect the lollipop bound to some hand bone.)
Thanks, now I understand. It works with bone animation but it doesn't prevent the lolipop layer from being moved if I move the mouth layer or the bone layer with transform layer tool.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes of course - it can only compensate for bone movements.

It's a good habit to only do bone movements once a layer is bound.