Gradually slow down animation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pinesal

Gradually slow down animation

Post by Pinesal »

I am making a prize spinner and I am struggling with making is slowly and naturally stop spinning. Has anyone had experience doing something like that?
slowtiger

Re: Gradually slow down animation

Post by slowtiger »

Had something like that in a job: a slot machine. Created an image strip with all the numbers, made some copies, applied directional blur on each with different strength. Animated these in Moho and switched between images.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

I believe the difference with the spinner would be visibility of all elements since in slot machines you have a 'windows' for numbers/signs...

I'd first decide how many rounds would the spinner make, make that much keyframes for the full circle and then spread them on the timeline towards the liking - by increasing the distance progressivly. To add some drama before it stops - add some additional kf's and stretch them. Mind to have these kf's as Linear interpolation. The exception might be just that last 'drama' key as Ease In.

If you want to make it random - make a fast cycle loop and simply add keyframes for where you need it to stop the cycle and others for a pinch of 'drama'. For the next spin, copy/paste the loop, adjust and spin
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

This may or may not translate over from stop-motion, but try animating it backwards. Start from a dead stop and accelerate to your desired speed, then run the video backwards.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

IMO slowtiger's "fade / switch" between different images is a good idea... take a look at http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... er#p149886 for the fast rotation -- everything spinning is just a blur -- and eventually end up with the "actual" spinner turning gradually slower until it stops in much the same way as Maestral suggests.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Don't forget to have that spinner go back and forth some times at the end before it comes to rest.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5